New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find some of your comments on players astonishing. Let me comment on the players you singled out:
Keane; England international, whom Ancelotti (a decent judge) rated. Improved last season after a second season wobble.
Coleman; A leader in the estimation of anyone who's worked with him. Even at this stage in his career is capable of making a difference in team effectiveness. Less able than he was to get up and down, but never downs tools.
Sigurdsson; I am very critical of him, because of his one-paced jogging around the pitch. Covers ground, but doesn't effect play enough. Still a creator, though, and has a skill-set that belies your donkey tag.
Davies; Ancelotti was extremely negative about him at first. But admitted he is a worker and someone who is always striving to improve. Again, the word from people who know and work with him is that he's a really good pro, if not the scouse Messi.
Gomes; On his day shows great technique and ball-holding. Slow on the turn, and his recovery pace, never a strength, has reduced since injury. Could be a stand-out in a slower league, but nobody has ever criticised his professionalism.

That was your next point, where you accused the whole squad of unprofessionalism. Really? Based on what? Do you see them in training? Do you see how they eat and live? I am always amazed how people can slag strangers with a public profile and accuse them of things of which they can have no knowledge.

I'd agree with a lot of your points on the management options, although Benitez is suspect in terms of temperament. He will go to war in public with his bosses, and constantly falls out with lots of people. But he is strong on discipline. It would still stick in my craw to support him, but that's what I'd do if appointed.

But rather than damn our whole squad, wouldn't it be more constructive to highlight leadership amongst the players as the missing ingredient? We're crying out for a Peter Reid, or an Andy Gray; someone to inspire and galvanise the players. I think we have a lot of nice, polite young men in the squad, and could do with more aggression and fire. But your character assassinations here just go too far for me. And maybe the leaders we need are there, waiting to be unleashed. Godfrey? Allan? Even the Tom Davies whom you clearly despise.

No manager could possibly follow your advice and regard (or maybe throw out?!) the whole squad as 'poor players'. There will need to be a mixture of coached improvement, positional/mindset changes, targeted replacement and tactical tweaks. I don't underestimate the challenge, hence I would favour someone more like Galtier or even Potter, noted for player development. But I couldn't let your damning post pass any more than I can always keep quiet when some foam-flecked fool next to me at the match kicks off on a player whose skills and athleticism he could only match in his dreams.
Why would you support him just cause he was appointed? We aren't sheep just following along. If you don't want him at the club, you let the owners know, don't just be subservient.

10 am announcement most probs. 1 hour 35 mins left to enjoy no Benitez day.

Language is not just about words, it's about context and cultural understanding. As someone who's wife speaks English as second language I can tell you that misinterpretations are commonplace even when the words seem to make sense.
I absolutely agree, but as someone who speaks english as a 2nd language I can tell you that "small club" usually means a small club and thats exactly what he wanted to say. I dont care how good or bad he is/was as a manager, I dont want him

largely agree with this, Ancelotti wasn't the wrong manager, just got him at the wrong time, too early, we were not far enough down the road.
Yeah I think, sadly, on this one the pundits were right. Ancelotti wasn’t what we needed at the time. He’s the manager we bring in if we’re close to being title contenders. That’s a big if mind lol

Why would you support him just cause he was appointed? We aren't sheep just following along. If you don't want him at the club, you let the owners know, don't just be subservient.
I think let the owners know - right up until the moment an appointment is made. After that it is counter-productive and we need to accept whatever reality comes our way UNTIL results / performances dictate otherwise

In some regards I don't really care. Beneathus would pit the Fans against the Club and be out in 6 months, another god knows how many tens of millions wasted.

The big problem for me is we have been too ambitious for our position. We CAN attract big names if we massively overpay them and give them a contract they can walk away from, but they only come for the lack of a better offer. As soon as that offer arrives they are away as there is nothing to keep them.

We need to be at least in Europe before we make such signings. That's what City did, that's what Chelsea did. We need a platform that can sustain big players.

Any one we will be looking at now will either be playing us off against Spurs (for more reliable mangers) or Palace (for those who are riskier). I'm happy to bump the price up for Spurs and see what is left once they have signed someone. Literally anyone would be better than Beneathus.

We've always paid our managers handsomely though since Moyes. He was something daft top 10 highest paid manager in Europe. Martinez too, got a £10mill payoff also.

The Carlo thing was always a worthwhile gamble to get him in. Any top managers for us at the moment will always be headhunted, same with the players. We're not in a strong position. If Real didn't need a manger, Carlo would still be ours. It was just one of them cos of who it was

I think the point I'm making is...it's not as easy as it seems to get these managers in. Can throw names in randomly but behind the scenes is a different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.