New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Far as I'm concerned nothing will be more embarrassing than our first team losing to Liverpool kids, FSW being manager is a walk in the park compared to that.
That truly was as low as you can get. Carlo got off very lightly for that one the signs were there that he was not up too the Job.
Back to Benetez he is the last person on that list I would want and that includes Eddie Howe. If Benetez gets the job for me I think he has till Christmas to start showing an improvement or he's out.
If they have to take him offer him a one year contract with an extension if he gets top six or a cup.
If he won't accept it move on

If things don't work out I hope people focus their anger at the board rather than the very obvious foil that is Rafael.
Agree.
The majority shareholder and the board are who any vitriol should be aimed at for making this appointment.

Benitez will surely know he’s in for a rough ride and I think he’s being naive if he thinks it won’t be.

He is going to have to produce the mother of all managerial performances right from the outset.

.Of the managers still left in the euros I think it will be Martinez for a second spell. He knows the club and has hopefully matured and learnt something since his departure including the correct definition of "phenomenal". No one knows who it will be until euro events take their course.

The club have played a blinder here. Dosed out the appointment of Benitez gradually and now have fans at a point where there's grudging acceptance.

They get one thing about us: we dont do, by and large, mass scale revolt in the way that the Kopites do. They know we're more level headed and that - given a bit of time to get our heads around the situation - opposition will abate and acceptance will follow. Only over Johnson's ownership and the move to Kirkby has a revolt been sustained.
We as a fan base are a dream for someone like moshiri we don't protest or kick up fuss ,when some do it's called kopite behaviour, if it wasn't for a small group of fans that were in some instances derided by fellow evertonians we would be playing in a ricoh style stadium next to a Tesco's.
I am sure it will be a full on blitz charm offensive by the usual suspects sharp snodin,Stuart all the usual kopite journalists when benitez is appointed

Agree.
The majority shareholder and the board are who any vitriol should be aimed at for making this appointment.

Benitez will surely know he’s in for a rough ride and I think he’s being naive if he thinks it won’t be.

He is going to have to produce the mother of all managerial performances right from the outset.
This could be a positive in the sense of he's going to have to give 100% to get this right.

Tbh as soon as Benitez took the Chelsea job he showed that he has absolutely scant regard for the respect of Kopites. He’s as much a mercenary as the rest of them. Even Mourinho took employment from United and Spurs after being a Chelsea legend. The fact Benitez is even willing to take an interview with us shows he couldn’t give one about his Liverpool connections. I’m sure the Valencia fans weren’t happy about him rocking up at Madrid either, did he care? No.

Of course that works the other way around as well. He’s not going to be a lifelong Evertonian after this, but quite frankly neither have any of our managers been since HK was last in charge. Ancelotti talked the talk then binned us off at the first opportunity. Benitez is a mercenary football manager (like they all are) who will probably put himself before any of his clubs. As long as we understand that when we get into business with him then there’s no reason an exchange can’t take place where we pay him and he improves us. If he doesn’t he’s out, but that’s the same for any manager.

The only way that fans will have this sentimental misty eyed view of the club as they remember it being decades ago is if we appointed an ex player as manager. The fact that most of them are derided as cone layers on here shows that wouldn’t go down too well either. As soon as we go ‘outside of the parish’ for a manager we run the risk that any decent manager will not want to stay here. They have no connection to Everton, they don’t care about us, we are a stepping stone for them. We got a bit lucky with Moyes, but any manager who is good, or on the pathway to being good, won’t even look at us, or if they did won’t be here long.

Benitez might still be decent (I’ve no idea to be honest). He’ll probably stick around for a bit as he’s not on the upward curve at the moment and has done a lot of his career moving (what we thought we were getting under Ancelotti) and already lives here. He has prem experience and knows how to manage poor players.

He’s ticking all of Moshiri’s and probably Brand’s boxes whether we like it or not, and was probably the reason why Moyes and Nuno were amongst the other candidates. I’d imagine Everton’s requirements were something like this:

Must negate the risk of relegation before we move to a new stadium

Low likelihood of leaving for another club, will commit to a project to see us into the stadium

Has experience managing squads of different talent levels, and preferably in the premier league

Could push the club forward to European competition qualification

Can make use of the players we already have in the squad an attract other decent players

Preferable if available and affordable as cash is probably tight after Covid.

If this is anywhere close to what Everton were looking for then it immediately rules out a whole host of managers including Conte, Potter, Howe, Martinez, even Favre.

It actually leaves quite a short list which includes Moyes and Nuno and Benitez. Considering the first two were absolutely panned on here when linked then it’s only the Liverpool connection being the only blocker as to why Benitez isn’t a good choice for the club right now.

People don’t seem to understand that we cannot take a risk in this position. We are all chips in on the new stadium, Covid has made everything more difficult, the squad is in a perilous position with the best players unfit or wanting out and the rest not very good. We cannot roll the dice on a manager who might not integrate, can’t get the squad behind him, is shocked by the prem, or needs 100s of millions on players to implement his philosophy and can’t get results in the mean time.
Brilliant post

I just want a manager that wants to make this club great again, put us back at the top of the league we're we belong. If any member on here can give me 100% cast iron proof that Dunc can't do that. Rather Dunc than rs castoffs. Experience blah blah. Only my humble opinion.

Also I could understand the fume if we appointed a genuine Red like Danny Murphy or Gerrard who are on record as hating Everton/Evertonians.

Benitez isn't one of those - he literally made a jibe in the heat of the moment at how we played against them.

The LFC connection is literally the least of my worries with the bloke - I just want someone in the prime of their career who is ambitious not entering their twilight years which is what Ancelotti/Benitez currently are.

Fully agree. Sadly we are one of the last animals at the watering hole, the runt of the litter, the lame beast of the herd.

We have no European football, an unbalanced squad with a huge quality disparity, a massive legacy FFP problem, we play in the hardest competition in the world, and a fan base with expectations far higher than what is probably achievable in the short term.

Any good manager in the peak of their careers can hold out for a top CL club, failing that they can take an upwardly mobile side in France Germany Italy and possibly Spain and be confident of getting CL football which then leads them to getting one of the very top jobs.

Any manager looking at us would see their chances of ‘success’ as absolutely minimal. They could have a miracle season with us and only come 5th. They’ll see an absolutely brilliant manager like Pochettino get nothing from his incredible work at Spurs.

We cannot shop at that market like City Chelsea or Liverpool did with Tuchel Guardiola Klopp. We have to either go for a punt on an up and comer (like we did with Martinez Koeman and Silva), or we go for an old timer on the way down and hope they’ve still got it (Ancelotti, Benitez). The only lever we have is the salary one, we literally can’t offer them anything else at all that other clubs can’t easily better.

Chance of trophies
Squad quality
European football
Prestigious name

We fail against all of these. All we can say is that we’ll pay you well and you won’t get fired if you keep us up. That is not going to attract the best of the best or even those thinking they could be the best one day.

So now we have fans slagging off other fans for feeling at the end of their tether because our 'people's club' are hiring an ex red boss who belittled us and is also a washed up manager. Makes sense.
And some people think the club have played a blinder. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.