New Everton Stadium Discussion

All well and good mate but that's not the current plan from the club and likely won't ever be given that we have started work on the docks project and have concurrently set up a Goodison refurbishment plan as community center. What's your thoughts on the BMD stadium design?
I was responding to a question regarding increasing footprint at GP.

BMD stadium design? I've commented on it quite extensively elsewhere. It's smart cleanlines as you'd expect .... smart externals but quite basic configuration internally. Would've preferred to see some overlapping of tiers to give more capacity per footprint, bringing people closer to the pitch on average and reflecting our traditions. Perhaps with 2 home ends and away fans confined to a lower tier on the side as we have at GP. At the projected costs I probably would've also expected a closing roof and/or folding/moving pitch as at Lille for instance. This would've given far greater flexibility. The high roof design may leave a lot of front sections quite exposed. 22 boxes is pitifully low for a 50k+ capacity stadium. The proportion of corporate may also be slightly low for the capacity..... but perhaps that's what their research has told them......

oh-no-im-out.gif

Again - no data to provide proof of this turn away from corporate boxes.

I'm not saying it's not happening, but people cant just say it and hope to have credibility.

Tottenham Hotspur has installed fewer corporate boxes at its new stadium as it looks to target a more diverse range of clients with a more flexible hospitality approach.

The new arena, which hosts its first Premier League game this evening, has approximately 80 corporate boxes, while the team’s former White Hart Lane stadium had 120.

“I think the box market has changed and is definitely changing,” project architect Christopher Lee, managing director EMEA, Populous, told SportBusiness. “I think the sports business has traditionally built 150-plus boxes in these stadiums and ended up forcing a lot of predominantly small-to-medium enterprises into them. But a private box is a huge commitment, not just for the financials of actually buying the box, but getting six staff and six clients, week-in week-out to fill them.”

Lee said Tottenham had opted to develop a smaller number of “bigger, higher-end” private suites to target larger corporations and high-net worth individuals, but a more diverse array of intermediate “products” to cater for a variety of client needs further down the chain. Overall, Lee estimated there are 19 different hospitality products between general admission tickets and the highest specification “Super Lounges” in the new venue.

The newest innovation in the stadium is the introduction of ‘loge suites’ that allow groups of four to six people to take a dining booth in a shared communal box. Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said the idea was inspired by recent stadium builds in the US. “A lot of people now don’t want a full box, so this is a small area within an open space where you have your own booth and it’s semi-private,” he said.

Arse**l have also knocked down walls between a load of their boxes to create bigger areas in the past few years. I haven't got access to the "data" behind these decisions, but that's a fair amount of evidence that things have been moving away from loads of small boxes to a different concept.

22 at BMD still sounds a bit low though. But there's been a tonne of consultations on this stadium, so they must think they're hitting the sweet spot.

It's common knowledge Dave, companies have had to clean up their acts due to anti bribery/competition rules. Beforehand company A might have a swanky box to wow clients with free tickets as part of sweetner to gain their business, this is now looked down on especially in the United States of 'Merica where it first took off.

This is why places like the Emirates have turned single boxes into lounge spaces instead.
Not sure how true that is. But I can easily find out.

Tottenham Hotspur has installed fewer corporate boxes at its new stadium as it looks to target a more diverse range of clients with a more flexible hospitality approach.

The new arena, which hosts its first Premier League game this evening, has approximately 80 corporate boxes, while the team’s former White Hart Lane stadium had 120.

“I think the box market has changed and is definitely changing,” project architect Christopher Lee, managing director EMEA, Populous, told SportBusiness. “I think the sports business has traditionally built 150-plus boxes in these stadiums and ended up forcing a lot of predominantly small-to-medium enterprises into them. But a private box is a huge commitment, not just for the financials of actually buying the box, but getting six staff and six clients, week-in week-out to fill them.”

Lee said Tottenham had opted to develop a smaller number of “bigger, higher-end” private suites to target larger corporations and high-net worth individuals, but a more diverse array of intermediate “products” to cater for a variety of client needs further down the chain. Overall, Lee estimated there are 19 different hospitality products between general admission tickets and the highest specification “Super Lounges” in the new venue.

The newest innovation in the stadium is the introduction of ‘loge suites’ that allow groups of four to six people to take a dining booth in a shared communal box. Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said the idea was inspired by recent stadium builds in the US. “A lot of people now don’t want a full box, so this is a small area within an open space where you have your own booth and it’s semi-private,” he said.

Arse**l have also knocked down walls between a load of their boxes to create bigger areas in the past few years. I haven't got access to the "data" behind these decisions, but that's a fair amount of evidence that things have been moving away from loads of small boxes to a different concept.

22 at BMD still sounds a bit low though. But there's been a tonne of consultations on this stadium, so they must think they're hitting the sweet spot.
Again I never noticed that when I worked there.

Also the Spurs ground yes they have fewer high end boxes. Although the boxes they have cost lots and lots. 50k per season and they were made to pay 10 seasons up front. One of the top lounges is 20k per season.

Not sure how true that is. But I can easily find out.

It was widely reported at the time and in the article I linked in a later post. They may still have a raft of boxes though, I don't know how many they've converted out of a total of x, being London I expect there are companies that can afford them for perks for staff. I just know from my company there are nominal values you can give and take for prospective clients and a match in an executive box easily blows that. I think that's why the boxes boomed in the late 90's to 'grease' the wheels of commerce and you are just not allowed to do that anymore.

It was widely reported at the time and in the article I linked in a later post. They may still have a raft of boxes though, I don't know how many they've converted out of a total of x, being London I expect there are companies that can afford them for perks for staff. I just know from my company there are nominal values you can give and take for prospective clients and a match in an executive box easily blows that. I think that's why the boxes boomed in the late 90's to 'grease' the wheels of commerce and you are just not allowed to do that anymore.
You might be right mate. Not worked at Arsenal since Covid hit but they hadn't done that when i was there. They made changes to existing lounges and bought in Camden Brewery which didn't go down well with Arsenal fans.

Good info. Thanks.

The spokesman said after doing the modelling of people-movement access/eggress/circulation, the site was considered a tight fit for just 53k nevermind 60k....
I do think that Merseytravel are missing a trick here. How difficult would it be to put a landing stage in and run ferries on a match day from Birkenhead and Wallasey quite a few thousand leaving the stadium without causing problems on the roads, even our welsh fans could park and ride on them

Where have I said I hate this? Safestanding was discussed extensively at the consultation and on various forums since. None of this is new information.

However, it was a slightly contentious issue at one of the consultation stage workshops.... People posed several questions about the proposed capacity, asking why it wasn't 60k etc as voted for by most respondents. The spokesman said after doing the modelling of people-movement access/eggress/circulation, the site was considered a tight fit for just 53k nevermind 60k.... (It was unclear if he was referring to transport modelling) Obviously the next question was how then will we ever get to 60k even with safe standing? Which made him back track saying 60k should be ok too..... he may have just fluffed his lines under pressure, who knows? Of course the next question was along the lines of what if legislation stops at 1:1, or at say 1.5:1, whereby you would need 14k rail seats to reach 60k capacity (with 39k seats). It was also noted that the club chose the absolute minimum tread depth for rail seats at increased ratio (I can't remember if that was 750mm or 800mm to give 750 clearway)..... which is slightly surprising if we're chasing the highest ratio possible. So yes, there will be some future-proofing if increased ratios are allowed and are sufficiently high. If not we'll be stuck at that capacity or will need to eat into more seated sections to increase capacity.

Now that's more like it.

Didn't even mention Goodison once.

Up until about 5 or 6 years ago I used to regularly get nice "thank you" gifts for greasing a deal along. (usually from the buyer which I suppose is a little unusual.)

Doesn't happen so much these days, particularly if it's between businesses, with private (individuals) deals little has changed.

I'd imagine the ratio of boxes sold to private individuals (as opposed to business) has gone up over recent years. Obviously, it's still used for 'business' but a little harder to pin.

Now that's more like it.

Didn't even mention Goodison once.

I've only mentioned Goodison on here when responding to people who have also done so.... some of those people now seem to be mentioning it far more than me for some strange reason.

However, I don't understand the aversion of mentioning our existing ground..... as Meis said, he wanted to recreate so much of what GP is about, and any proposals should always be measured against the starting point of what GP could be with similar investment.

As regards a Ferry landing stage or equally a station at Vauxhall I'm not sure Merseytravel have the resources at present, especially with their investments in new trains etc. I'm also not sure that they'd want to spend on a landing stage for a once a fortnight venue, as it wouldn't be cost effective. Perhaps they would consider one nearer to the 10 streets/Liverpool waters proposals to feed the more regular footfall of developments there.

Colin Chong has mentioned his disappointment that the Vauxhall station has fallen off the radar, as this was a major part of the transport plan to help better distribute and move fans before and after the match. Personally, I believe the whole waterfront (and BMD) redevelopment scheme is screaming for its own dedicated mass transit system. Whether that is a new northern branch from say Sandhills on elevated track along the dock road, Strand and onwards to Brunswick Dock (a la the overhead railway of yesteryear) or some extension of the proposed "Lime Line trackless trams" along the same route. The current transport plan is fairly vague about it all, indicating that many will be expected to walk into town, unless there is a new revision I haven't seen.