New Everton Stadium Discussion

Honestly... just have a check.. Chelsea are comfortably the second biggest worldwide fanbase in the U.K.

I am not suprised myself because the whole new way of determining who people support has changed now.. they include clicks on Club websites.. signing up for clubs newsletters.. buying merchandise etc.. years ago it went on how many people went to watch you play.. or maybe how big your ground was etc.. not anymore tho..

The other thing you have to remember is the modern fan has no proper loyalty to a club like years ago.. the way it used to work is you followed the club where you lived or if your parents supported it etc, you followed through thick and thin.. through good times and bad regardless and you never ever changed your club... now they follow because it’s like a fashion etc.. they choose a club hundreds or even thousands of miles away from them knowing full well they will never see them play.. they don’t care because if they are associated with a club thst wins or a successful brand as they are called now then it’s good for them...
When you go back to our point about Chelsea you can clearly see how this fits in.. Chelsea was a second division club when I was growing up.. Mickey Droy and Ray Wilkins etc.. they were not even the biggest club in London.. once Abramovic took over all that changed.. they have won more trophies in last twenty years than any other British Club.. that’s why the worldwide fans have attached themselves to the brand... they must of won about 20 trophies more thsn Liverpool last twenty years and as you know.. a modern fan needs to be constantly fed on trophies for his to still be engaged to the club he follows.. another thing is where modern fans come from with there being no local loyalty it’s no big deal if they change brands to a more successful one.. those fans in the Far East who watch the pre season games buy a shirt from whichever club is touring that year.. one season it will be Chelsea.. next season United we wouldn’t dream of that here..
Hi @Legend78, there is a modicum of truth here, but we also need to consider the type of fan. We Blues largely consider ourselves "hardcore", from the locality, etc. with a few very welcome additions. I'm going to sound like an old fart here, partly because I am, but since Sky invented footy in 1992, it's become largely about brand, image etc. and the metrics that clubs, or more importantly, the sponsors, use to measure "success" is radically different.

I've lived in Asia and Middle East for most of the last 2 decades, and I see it first hand. There are "hardcore" fans in both continents who, for whatever insane reasons, support Everton. There are also a lot of fans who support x team in Italy, y team in Spain, z team in England, etc. There are also fans who just purely chase success - I've met fans in Asia (some years back) wearing their newly minted Man City shirt. Same "fan" 2 years before was wearing a Man Utd shirt.

For me football has sold its soul. Sponsorship deals are now ridiculous in both volume and quantity. Remember, most of these are high street brands to the ordinary consumer - choosing to pour millions into sponsorship (to drive further value for shareholders) rather than simply, um, reduce prices to consumers and accept lower profits.

Every Prem match is screened around the world. Every match has a post-match report (I've got samples) which, for every sponsor / brand placement, calculate media value. For me they really demonstrated their lack of integrity when the "39th" game concept was floated, playing overseas, and in no way could the cartel see how that damaged the integrity of competition.

Just enjoy the game for what it means to you, and the new stadium, because apart from the recent Leicester aberration, the likes of us won't be troubling the top table anytime soon. Sad, when you think what pioneers of the game we used to be.

Stood at the gates of BMD, you can see a hotel no more than 250 yards away. You could hit it with a driver with relative ease.

View attachment 150385

Over time, I do feel that there'll be some more hotels popping up in the area.
That cycle lane has to be the most ridiculous thing ever consructed in an area where 50,000+ are going to want access -- and they're not going to be travelling by bicycle.

That cycle lane has to be the most ridiculous thing ever consructed in an area where 50,000+ are going to want access -- and they're not going to be travelling by bicycle.
No, they are going to be walking. What difference does a cycle lane being there make? It’s also an infrastructure provision for the city to be used 365 days a year.

According to the Laing O'Rourke construction schedule, this is what we can expect in 2022.

Week 50 of the build, around early to middle of July by my calculations. (Work started 26th July 2021).

P1020661.JPG

Week 100, around the end of 2022.

P1020660.JPG

Still waiting for the time-lapse camera to document it all though.