New Everton Stadium Discussion

I agree, I was just spitballing really.

Strange that Meis thinks it will increase the capacity, but as you say, I will be stunned if they ever change the current ratio.

Imo it's only a matter of time. Once you allow safe standing what does it matter to the authorities if you have 30 people in a row or 36? As long there is no trouble and stewards make sure the steps are clear at all times then it is just a natural progression.

I can't see it ever being huge ratios that will push the capacity to nudge towards 60k though.

Imo it's only a matter of time. Once you allow safe standing what does it matter to the authorities if you have 30 people in a row or 36? As long there is no trouble and stewards make sure the steps are clear at all times then it is just a natural progression.

I can't see it ever being huge ratios that will push the capacity to nudge towards 60k though.

Away games or evidence of this. No one takes their seat and a lot of people bunk in, not as bad Liverpool fans who take pride in it but it still is a major problem.

Away games or evidence of this. No one takes their seat and a lot of people bunk in, not as bad Liverpool fans who take pride in it but it still is a major problem.

Everything is open to abuse, it's about putting in the extra measures to prevent or limit. With face recognition cameras, the full height turnstiles, secondary checks for tickets before you step on to the terracing. Then marry that to harsh punishments like a total stadium ban for you and anyone seen to aid you getting in without a ticket and you should be able to weed out 99%.

If the additional step is brought in (spacing is required) and there are rails in each row, I don't see why they wouldn't allow it, as it'd still be safe enough.

The size of the concourses may actually be the biggest barrier.

It matters a lot mate.

Standing areas at arenas etc are managed a lot closer than seated areas. As a quick example - if you lose your standing ticket you aren't getting it reissued. If you lose a seated ticket, you will.

No operator will ever risk standing capacity exceeding the limit.

Safe standing will never allow more capacity, IMO. And it shouldn't.

It matters a lot mate.

Standing areas at arenas etc are managed a lot closer than seated areas. As a quick example - if you lose your standing ticket you aren't getting it reissued. If you lose a seated ticket, you will.

We have to be careful to define this as something different to how it used to be in the olden days, when it was the wild west and everyone for themselves.

Safe standing is no different to having a seat, you will be given a location with your ticket and you'll be expected to stand in that place. Obviously it has to be more carefully managed because it is harder to spot the people who try to abuse the system, stand where they shouldn't. AI systems in a couple of years will probably be able to sweep the terraces to count the number of fans on a row and if there is an issue stewards will be checking their tickets to see who is the village idiot.

It matters a lot mate.

Personally, I think you are wrong. I suspect the capacity will be bumped up by a few thousand with a change to the safe standing regs. I might be very wrong, obviously. Time will tell.

Can anybody answer why the south stand keeps being referred to as one single stand? To me its two tiers. There's a big dividing wall midway up that lines up and looks only slightly smaller than the size of boxes in the other stands.
It's just the same as that walkway between the upper and lower sections of the Gwladys St which we lost when we went all seating in the early 90's. Anybody 40+ will remember it, I'd guess. In that sense it is a total nod the Goodison which some seem to ignore it or miss it. It's there for WHEN (not if) the lower section goes standing. It's so those at the higher level can still see over the heads of those in the front section when they are stood up.

Last edited:

The Mainstand side is a bit swings and roundabouts, as it was primarily an exercise in getting as many seats as possible into a confined site. The deep overlapping format is similar to a lot of old US Baseball grandstands. Yes, the back few rows of the mainstand itself are a bit limited and claustraphobic, but that is because of the propped Top Balcony above, which affords those fans above excellent elevated views much closer to the action than anything of equivalent height at BMD. Of course, it's over 50yrs old and the chosen roof design creates more obstructed views than necessary too.
The Main Stand is horrible. Only saving grace is the Top Balc.

It matters a lot mate.

It works perfectly fine at higher ratio Germany though.

I think it’s only a matter of time , I think the club do to or they wouldn’t have spent the extra money making sure the concourses etc are big enough to handle the extra people.

We have to be careful to define this as something different to how it used to be in the olden days, when it was the wild west and everyone for themselves.

Safe standing is no different to having a seat,

And that's why I think it'll always remain 1:1 ratio.

The government should never allow venues to replace seats for standing to increase capacity.

Personally, I think you are wrong. I suspect the capacity will be bumped up by a few thousand with a change to the safe standing regs. I might be very wrong, obviously. Time will tell.

We will indeed.

I personally think it was a tad disingenuous tactics to mitigate early day moans around a fairly low capacity.

If the government allowed venues to replace seats for standing to increase capacity - we'd very quickly see wholesale changes and not just in football.

It works perfectly fine at higher ratio Germany though.

I think it’s only a matter of time , I think the club do to or they wouldn’t have spent the extra money making sure the concourses etc are big enough to handle the extra people.

What's the ratio there?

Also think when considering plausiblity - comparisons to Germany don't work - totally different attitude. You can drink alcohol in the stands. Imagine that here?! After you've driven there at whatever speed you like on their motorways...

And that's why I think it'll always remain 1:1 ratio.

The government should never allow venues to replace seats for standing to increase capacity.

We will indeed.

I personally think it was a tad disingenuous tactics to mitigate early day moans around a fairly low capacity.

If the government allowed venues to replace seats for standing to increase capacity - we'd very quickly see wholesale changes and not just in football.
No, because the tread depth and fire exits etc all have to be able to cope.

For example, if/when the ratio changes, Anfield/Etihad/Emirates etc won’t benefit from a capacity increase.