New Everton Stadium

Guessing you're talking about Valencia's New Mestalla. Work started on it in 2007 but then the 2008 financial crisis happened and work halted in 2009 I think. Been sitting like this for over 10 years now. Crazy

15269227279510.jpg

I know Spain is not a very wet country but that stadium looks like it didn't have plans for a roof, so 60's thinking and would cost a fortune to do it as an afterthought.
Which reminds me. I know both Real Madrid and Barca are pretty much revamping their stadiums but putting on a roof must be quite a chunk of the money?

I know Spain is not a very wet country but that stadium looks like it didn't have plans for a roof, so 60's thinking and would cost a fortune to do it as an afterthought.
Which reminds me. I know both Real Madrid and Barca are pretty much revamping their stadiums but putting on a roof must be quite a chunk of the money?
Valencia have had to redesign the stadium due to cost cutting. Original design had a open roof which covered 100% of the fans. New design will cover 75% (if it ever gets made).

As for Barca and Real I would imagine you're right. Real's is set to cost €525m and that is with most of the structure already there. Their roof looks pretty complicated and it fully closes so must be costing a fortune. This video has a cool animation of how the work will be done (starts at 2.30)

Valencia have had to redesign the stadium due to cost cutting. Original design had a open roof which covered 100% of the fans. New design will cover 75% (if it ever gets made).

As for Barca and Real I would imagine you're right. Real's is set to cost €525m and that is with most of the structure already there. Their roof looks pretty complicated and it fully closes so must be costing a fortune. This video has a cool animation of how the work will be done (starts at 2.30)

That looks like #&^%, to be honest...might as well be a 'kin airport terminal.

I think submitting the application in December was just to satisfy the Club's PR timetable. The Council has to be in possession of all the necessary paperwork before the application can be formally registered, so maybe there was some delay with statutory notices or supporting documents.

Links to the submission were posted on here and it was probably the most extensive (in terms of documentation) submission that I have ever come across.

We can’t know for sure but I’d bet the Covid-19 restrictive working practices are delaying things. Things like formal responses from the likes of Highways, NW Water, WHS? etc. Also a scheme this size wouldn‘t normally be decided under delegated powers but would need to go to a full planning committee which I believe haven’t been taking place. None of the planning Dept. should have been furloughed as they are government employees so things should still be being worked on behind the scenes however slowly that may be.

From the developments I’m working on now trying to get pre start planning conditions signed off, one thing is for certain they (the planners) won’t be rushed and it’s generally not a good idea to get on the wrong side of them. Our best hope is they are receiving political pressure from above from the likes of Joe Anderson to get things moving along but again I’ve seen this approach back fire as they can be quite prickly our lovely planning departments. My best mate is a planner and we get along fine as long as we don’t talk about work (n)

Links to the submission were posted on here and it was probably the most extensive (in terms of documentation) submission that I have ever come across.

We can’t know for sure but I’d bet the Covid-19 restrictive working practices are delaying things. Things like formal responses from the likes of Highways, NW Water, WHS? etc. Also a scheme this size wouldn‘t normally be decided under delegated powers but would need to go to a full planning committee which I believe haven’t been taking place. None of the planning Dept. should have been furloughed as they are government employees so things should still be being worked on behind the scenes however slowly that may be.

From the developments I’m working on now trying to get pre start planning conditions signed off, one thing is for certain they (the planners) won’t be rushed and it’s generally not a good idea to get on the wrong side of them. Our best hope is they are receiving political pressure from above from the likes of Joe Anderson to get things moving along but again I’ve seen this approach back fire as they can be quite prickly our lovely planning departments. My best mate is a planner and we get along fine as long as we don’t talk about work (n)
Well, I would naturally be on your mate's side as a former local authority planner, but I know that development control planners can be maddeningly obstinate. It may well have been a very comprehensive submission, but sometimes small things like making sure all interested parties received the correct notices can cause issues. I know I have experienced delays like this even when all of the documentation was properly set out.The two month delay in registering the application was before lockdown so there may have been some perceived omissions. I am definitely not a fan of political pressure, it would certainly be resented and probably have the opposite effect.

planning committee is still up and running via a virtual platform

but you’re totally correct, and people don’t understand, the amount of internal departments as well as external agencies this has to go through due to its size.

im sure people think it’s the same process as throwing an extension on the back of ye ken

Guessing you're talking about Valencia's New Mestalla. Work started on it in 2007 but then the 2008 financial crisis happened and work halted in 2009 I think. Been sitting like this for over 10 years now. Crazy

15269227279510.jpg
That site looks a smaller footprint than GP!

Well, I would naturally be on your mate's side as a former local authority planner, but I know that development control planners can be maddeningly obstinate. It may well have been a very comprehensive submission, but sometimes small things like making sure all interested parties received the correct notices can cause issues. I know I have experienced delays like this even when all of the documentation was properly set out.The two month delay in registering the application was before lockdown so there may have been some perceived omissions. I am definitely not a fan of political pressure, it would certainly be resented and probably have the opposite effect.

You wouldn’t be on my mates side if you met himlol

planning committee is still up and running via a virtual platform

but you’re totally correct, and people don’t understand, the amount of internal departments as well as external agencies this has to go through due to its size.

im sure people think it’s the same process as throwing an extension on the back of ye ken

lol made me laugh this

IF (a big IF) but if near the time your new stadium was to be opened and it's on schedule for towards the end of September, Everton could always ask to have their first 3 (or however many) home games to be played away from home.

To be honest though, I cannot remember one big stadium that has opened on time?

Last one in the UK was probably the Olympic Stadium. But that was such a simple structure in comparison to our stadium, Wembley, or BMD.

Real Madrid are also adding a splitting, retractable pitch. Wonder where they got that idea from? lol

IF (a big IF) but if near the time your new stadium was to be opened and it's on schedule for towards the end of September, Everton could always ask to have their first 3 (or however many) home games to be played away from home.

To be honest though, I cannot remember one big stadium that has opened on time?

The Etihad. Twice.

The Etihad. Twice.

I wouldn't class the commonwealth stadium build as a big build as I'm guessing the first stage of the was for less than 40,000 with a big temporary stand included (also a lot easier and faster to build) and the second stage (a year later?) for when it became City's stadium was for around 15,000.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back