New Everton Stadium

I work in the delivery of major infrastructure projects for Government. The message is build, build, build and they are looking at ways to speed up delivery.

I can't see this Government saying no to a privately funded project in a run down part of the country.

Also, I see nothing in the local news about historc England calling the stadium plans in - are we getting upset prematurely here? Is it a wind up?

From

Due to the impact of the proposals on a World Heritage Site, which has the highest level of heritage protection and is internationally significant, we think that this application should be determined by the Secretary of State and will ask for it to be called in for his determination

From

Due to the impact of the proposals on a World Heritage Site, which has the highest level of heritage protection and is internationally significant, we think that this application should be determined by the Secretary of State and will ask for it to be called in for his determination

Fair enough. I'm amazed this hasn't made the local news though!

I don't understand the hate the Dave gets sometimes.

He's as blue as they come and clearly only wants good things for the club.

But he's not blind.

There seems to be an attitude on here sometimes that showing anything less than blind enthusiasm for certain things is deemed acceptable.
It's not like he wants the stadium to fail but he suspects it might. He worries about it.

For me he's been right about plenty of stuff so far including Moshiri and Brands (a couple who seem to be Teflon to some) and he's still right about the stadium in terms of people were boldy saying we would have been playing in it by 2020 a couple of years ago.

Anyway I'll climb out of his arse now. Sorry.

(I think the stadium will now go ahead, I've been convinced although I suspect there will be delays.)
Its not that he is incorrect in what he is saying but the down right negativity/borderline sensationalism he brings to the forum at times is not only uncalled for, but also daft and feeds the bed wetters beast that numerous members of this forum are part of.

Also, I see nothing in the local news about historc England calling the stadium plans in - are we getting upset prematurely here? Is it a wind up?

I mean, you should probably read the statement the club put out...it's all in there... ;)

However, at some point in the coming weeks, you may become aware of objections to our proposed scheme being made to Liverpool City Council by Historic England and the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS), a heritage body acting on behalf of UNESCO.

Historic England, together with ICOMOS, believe our proposals should be reviewed by the Government due to their concerns over the impact our plans to infill the dock could have on what is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Conservation Area. Similar concerns have also been raised by the Victorian Society.

But back then though the opposition was on the EFC side of the fence AND the other side of the fence, not to mention the 1000 bike parks stupidity and the like.

Opposition seems to be assorted Jeff of W Derby rs, WHS, UNESCO.
Vs
The Govt...post covid stimulus build, build, build.
LCC (?)
The Club and 99% of fans
Peel.
Kirkby wasn't rejected because of a split fan base, though. It provided an important subtext because those Evertonians opposing Kirkby were pulling levers in the local state and the local media. The scheme was rejected because it stepped on too many toes in terms of the Local Plan.

The dock stadium will face a different type of opposition this time. It may well ultimately get the nod. But any 12 month delay will test the fortitude of the club owners and their prospective partners and investors.

Kirkby wasn't rejected because of a split fan base, though. It provided an important subtext because those Evertonians opposing Kirkby were pulling levers in the local state and the local media. The scheme was rejected because it stepped on too many toes in terms of the Local Plan.

The dock stadium will face a different type of opposition this time. It may well ultimately get the nod. But any 12 month delay will test the fortitude of the club owners and their prospective partners and investors.
I’m sure they knew the obstacles they faced when they committed to building on such a complex site.

I’m sure they knew the obstacles they faced when they committed to building on such a complex site.
I hope so. But having seen what an amateurish organisation Everton have been in the last two decades where stadiums are concerned I think there's a good chance that they just anticipated they could cajole all possible opposition by carrying out a multitude of public consultations.

On the flip side of that argument, a 12 month delay will give a far clearer picture where we (as a country, economy and football league) actually stand. And as the poster above has said, the owners, planners and whoever else is involved with the project must have expected opposition to this from these heritage types. At the end of the day its a disused dock in a poverty ridden part of Liverpool that, without this stadium, is highly unlikely to get this sort of opportunity again. There is no chance on earth that this doesn't get built (baring Moshiri and his pals don't fancy it anymore).

On the flip side of that argument, a 12 month delay will give a far clearer picture where we (as a country, economy and football league) actually stand. And as the poster above has said, the owners, planners and whoever else is involved with the project must have expected opposition to this from these heritage types. At the end of the day its a disused dock in a poverty ridden part of Liverpool that, without this stadium, is highly unlikely to get this sort of opportunity again. There is no chance on earth that this doesn't get built (baring Moshiri and his pals don't fancy it anymore).
Well, we can turn just about everything into a virtue. But it obviously would have been preferable for the club to get this through on the timeline they had for it.

Well, we can turn just about everything into a virtue. But it obviously would have been preferable for the club to get this through on the timeline they had for it.

Obviously. But how realistic is that given the complexity of the site and now throwing a pandemic into the mix. Not really something you can beat the club with to be honest.

Its not that he is incorrect in what he is saying but the down right negativity/borderline sensationalism he brings to the forum at times is not only uncalled for, but also daft and feeds the bed wetters beast that numerous members of this forum are part of.
I'd add his vicious and immature language on political issues to any assessment of the guy.

Even if it were to be called in there is no grounds to deny it. If the secretary of state approves it the worst thing that could happen is that the WHS status would be lost. That surely is a local decision to decide what they deem more important and thus there is no point in sending it to the SoS in the first place.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back