New Everton Stadium

I do like the thought of Evertonians turning up en masse at follies and abbeys across the country to protest, terrifying the old dears selling tickets and ice creams.
I like this. Nothing violent but petty things like a jumpers for goalposts kickabout on a perfectly manicured lawn etc. We could be like extinction rebellion but in Everton shirts with jobs, money, happiness & a minimun 2 showers or a good bath a day rule.

I'm just typing up my one, hopefully I have put my objections in a calm, considered, constructive and diplomatic manner:

Dear beeeep

What the beep do you know about beep, you can go beeep yourselves, you deluded bunch of self centered beeps. Beep, beep, beeping reenactment 5 year old beeps. Everyone can benefit from seeing the historic dock, including restored pump house and clock or you can vote to see it rot. See the difference? Of course not because you're a bunch of beeps.

Yours sincerely,
1598640566399.webp

Definitely good for builders obviously, but what I am struggling to understand here is the idea of commercial lending for a stadium during a pandemic.

I am absolutely not the expert & would appreciate someone who is explaining it, but surely no commercial investment (lending) goes ahead for a sports stadium, without a clear roadmap to when, how and if fans will fully return.

I do wonder if the government may offer some help/incentives for lending? I mean this problem will be far broader than football, and we will need building opportunities.

I do wonder if the government may offer some help/incentives for lending? I mean this problem will be far broader than football, and we will need building opportunities.

yeah - that's a very fair build (no pun intended) and fits into my thoughts on the clubs being extrememly happy sitting on their hands here for a while. I have no doubt they could be much more aggressive with planning, finance and the sandal wearing brigade, but frankly they are nice hurdles for club & slowing down the process will hopefully restore confidence in the economy, the PL and the viability of new sports stadia

English Heritage and Historic England are two separate entities, which is why it’s not mentioned on the EH site (it is mentioned on the HE site).

It’s not the stately homes and castles crew that want to stop us filling in a dock.

I think they used to be the same thing, but not now.

They're seperate entities, but they're joined at the hip mate, Historic England effectively own English Heritage.

To be fair, they both do some great work, but they also have a tendency to make mountains out of molehills.

I work in the delivery of major infrastructure projects for Government. The message is build, build, build and they are looking at ways to speed up delivery.

I can't see this Government saying no to a privately funded project in a run down part of the country.
Exactly so.
But.
Forget Aug 2024
Forget 500M.
You only have to look at your small back yard patio or every episode of Grand Designs or ofany House Reno program or the 2nd high speed rail line.
They always take longer
They always cost more
There are always changes to the plans.

Yes it will open in a year starting with a 2 - but not 24
And if it comes in under 700Mill it will be a miracle...or worst case, a cheap half arsed job.

Well done mate

Where would you like your 'I Told You So' certificate sent?
Well I think I'm entitled to point out that I was right, given the dogs abuse I received from many on here who told me I was a WUM, Troll, nobhead when I insisted a project this size would be called in.

Those people were simply being abusive or incapable of learning the lesson of other stadium projects (including one of our own) that call ins were likely.

Well I think I'm entitled to point out that I was right, given the dogs abuse I received from many on here who told me I was a WUM, Troll, nobhead when I insisted a project this size would be called in.

Those people were simply being abusive or incapable of learning the lesson of other stadium projects (including one of our own) that call ins were likely.

Been reading this thread for a long time, and I have to say, that this is disingenuous, because you know full well that it is yet to be called in.

You also know fully well, that "it will be called in" does not wholly sum up your stance on the matter. Which is pretty much along the lines of "it'll never happen."

Not like you to blur lines Dave...

Been reading this thread for a long time, and I have to say, that this is disingenuous, because you know full well that it is yet to be called in.

You also know fully well, that "it will be called in" does not wholly sum up your stance on the matter. Which is pretty much along the lines of "it'll never happen."

Not like you to blur lines Dave...
I've said it'd be called in from the off. And my view on the outcome of the stadium has always been that it may or may not happen - something that too many are unwilling to countenance. I can only think they have zero memory of this club's history in trying to secure a new stadium.

I've said it'd be called in from the off. And my view on the outcome of the stadium has always been that it may or may not happen - something that too many are unwilling to countenance. I can only think they have zero memory of this club's history in trying to secure a new stadium.

I think people get frustrated Dave, because you often fail to acknowledge that the club has changed since previous failed attempts. It's somewhat akin to using the Nigel Martyn hamper debacle to hammer the club's current transfer strategy .

Different people, different club, Dave.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back