New Everton Stadium

Definitely leave it at it is. It's not for Everton to apologise or even explain the history behind the Dock, although I'd personally would like to see them acknowledge its history in some tasteful way.
The Republic of Ireland has been independent since 1922.

The chain of office of Dublin's Lord Mayor bears the image of King William III (Billy).
Where I live in Kilkenny we have William Street.
In Dublin, Nassau Street is named after King Billy' s House of Orange-Nassau

I could go on. Many streets have been renamed after Irish national figures - OConnell Street from Sackville St, Parnell St from Great Britain St. Pearson Street from Great Brunswick St etc

However I and most Irish are content to leave many names unchanged despite their imperialist etymological.

As for BMD, if we host a permanent exhibition highlighting the horror of the slave trade from Liverpool and other cities, and clearly identify the role played by Bramley Moore, then we are educating people about the past. Much better than shutting up ship and trying to ignore or erase real history.

The Republic of Ireland has been independent since 1922.

The chain of office of Dublin's Lord Mayor bears the image of King William III (Billy).
Where I live in Kilkenny we have William Street.
In Dublin, Nassau Street is named after King Billy' s House of Orange-Nassau

I could go on. Many streets have been renamed after Irish national figures - OConnell Street from Sackville St, Parnell St from Great Britain St. Pearson Street from Great Brunswick St etc

However I and most Irish are content to leave many names unchanged despite their imperialist etymological.

As for BMD, if we host a permanent exhibition highlighting the horror of the slave trade from Liverpool and other cities, and clearly identify the role played by Bramley Moore, then we are educating people about the past. Much better than shutting up ship and trying to ignore or erase real history.
Auto correct strikes again. That should be Pearse Street and imperialist etymology.

Looking at the part of the wall above with the name of the dock on, what do you think we should do with it? Leave it, put something else next to it, cover it up? Just asking, like.

Something like this I imagine?

Everyone should be aware of the horrific impact that benefactors of slave traders had on the world.

But in absolutely no way should we today be getting grief over it. It was generations ago and we have enough issues socially and economically without being told we should be put down by it.

I believe your post was in good gesture but I don't condone any sympathy seeking over something ourselves, like the rest of the world did for thousands of years.

Whisper it but St Domingo Road and subsequently St Domingo's Methodist Church are named from 18th century George Campbell's West Indian sugar plantations.

The slave trade began in the Dominican Republic in early 16th century. St Domingo was also where black resistance began, with a slave revolt in 1791.

The information/education approach is far better than a 1984 erasure of historical facts.

BTW John Wesley, founder of Methodism cones out looking badly regarding slavery if we apply 21st century lens to his 18th century thoughts.

I am not defending him in any way. However, I would not expect the Methodist Churches to disown all of his teachings and erase him from their history.

Whisper it but St Domingo Road and subsequently St Domingo's Methodist Church are named from 18th century George Campbell's West Indian sugar plantations.

The slave trade began in the Dominican Republic in early 16th century. St Domingo was also where black resistance began, with a slave revolt in 1791.

The information/education approach is far better than a 1984 erasure of historical facts.
Brought up on St Domingo rd.

Let's change our name back to Saint Domingo's, then. That'll keep them off our case. I think it sounds cool.

BTW John Wesley, founder of Methodism cones out looking badly regarding slavery if we apply 21st century lens to his 18th century thoughts.

I am not defending him in any way. However, I would not expect the Methodist Churches to disown all of his teachings and erase him from their history.

Something like this I imagine?

Everyone should be aware of the horrific impact that benefactors of slave traders had on the world.

But in absolutely no way should we today be getting grief over it. It was generations ago and we have enough issues socially and economically without being told we should be put down by it.

I believe your post was in good gesture but I don't condone any sympathy seeking over something ourselves, like the rest of the world did for thousands of years.

I don't have a strong opinion re. the question I asked. I was merely asking the floor what they thought.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back