New Everton Stadium

I always thought we’d built the Main Stand on the cheap? It certainly looked that way when just a few years later Chelsea built their triple decker stand cantilevered (though in fairness it did nearly bankrupt them!)

Some of the views from the back of our main stand are horrific with all the stanchions.
Not forgetting the view of the 'devil dome' across the other side of Stanley Park 👹

That would be logical, however here is what will happen, the capacity will increase, but also the price of an average ticket is going to jump in price.

There is a reason the stadium is closer to 50k then 60k, if you make it to big, you lower the demand and thus the price of an individual seat. Having to much of a product can be a bad thing to it’s overall value and worth, as someone else pointed out demand means you can charge more and not flood the market, all this would have been weighed and crafted.
Just a shame when it comes to building a future fan base if the kids can’t get tickets

Growing up the club used to do loads with the schools to get them into the ground and it was something that differentiated us from other clubs

Just a shame when it comes to building a future fan base if the kids can’t get tickets

Growing up the club used to do loads with the schools to get them into the ground and it was something that differentiated us from other clubs

It is mate. Tickets for the PL particularly in London are obscene and prohibitive, hate to see it go the way of the NFL.

Its one of the great contrasts, everyone wants to go to a new ground as we will make more revenue, but at the same time no one wants the costs to raise - unfortunately costs rising for attending a game is going to be inevitable.

One thing i will say through the club are community focused so out of everyone they may have an awareness of those who may struggle to get to games due to cost prohibition.

Main Stand is awful. I can't wait to see that stand demolished in particular.
I've had some bad seats in the MS but for the last 10 seasons I've had a good one . A great spec just behind the corporate seats near the halfway line it's like watching on tv. Good people around us too. Hope this can be recreated at BMD. The facilities down below are prehistoric though .(n)

I've always had my doubts about the stadium costs. Owners often beef them up to exaggerate the quality (and probably boost any sell on value), and to temper the fans desire to "go big".... so that they can control prices by limiting supply, as at Juventus. At the time of the proposals Feyenoord were quoting £400m for a structurally more complex 63k, triple-tier stadium, with closing roof and also on partly reclaimed land. Moshiri's own design for Roma was quoted as €300m for the same capacity, but again in many ways a structurally more complex design.... so, it was slightly difficult to see how our slightly more structurally basic 53k stadium was costing so much more. That's before the owner said the costs had risen by 50% post covid, which the club itself now denies.... of course project and construction costs are different, but often conflated to misrepresent.

To be fair, you can't compare the cost of Bramley Moore to a different stadium in a different country. Construction costs and consultants fees in the UK are among the highest in the world.

Not forgetting the enabling works package which added £100-150m, more complex sub-structure design from retention of the soft silts and existing dock walls, restoration of the Grade II listed Hydraulic Tower along with other heritage artefacts, new bridge structure, new water channel etc etc.

There is a significant cost associated with things you cannot see or are outside of the stadum envelope. Ultimately you are not comparing apples with apples.

In a nutshell, the things that make site attractive to us as fans are the things that make the build and overall site restoration more expensive and thus contribute to the increased prices we will all face. Location, location, location cuts both ways.

Ultimately IF Peel make it easier for other developers to connect the stadium and the city with new mixed use developments that will help drive improvements to transport infrastructure (needs 7 day use) and create more long-term commercial value for the club.

We and the council should both be leaning on Peel to get more deals in place ASAP.

I always thought we’d built the Main Stand on the cheap? It certainly looked that way when just a few years later Chelsea built their triple decker stand cantilevered (though in fairness it did nearly bankrupt them!)

Some of the views from the back of our main stand are horrific with all the stanchions.

In relative terms the mainstand wasn't that cheap... at £1m it was 3 times that of Man Utd's cantilever stand of 5 yrs earlier and far more expensive than Anfield's extension to their Leitch stand. The architect was given a very basic brief of get in as many seats as possible. If the goalpost/cantilevered roof had been given the go ahead, many of the obstructed views would've been avoided.... so in that respect some costs were cut. The cranked footprint made it fairly problematic but it was quite impressive in terms of shear scale. Chelsea's was far more elegant but was £1.6m and practically bankcrupted them. Personally, I quite like the views from the Top Balcony and remember the view from my brother's old seat in the mainstand as being great too. Of course, all that was very much dependent on avoiding a column.

In relative terms the mainstand wasn't that cheap... at £1m it was 3 times that of Man Utd's cantilever stand of 5 yrs earlier and far more expensive than Anfield's extension to their Leitch stand. The architect was given a very basic brief of get in as many seats as possible. If the goalpost/cantilevered roof had been given the go ahead, many of the obstructed views would've been avoided.... so in that respect some costs were cut. The cranked footprint made it fairly problematic but it was quite impressive in terms of shear scale. Chelsea's was far more elegant but was £1.6m and practically bankcrupted them. Personally, I quite like the views from the Top Balcony and remember the view from my brother's old seat in the mainstand as being great too. Of course, all that was very much dependent on avoiding a column.
Yeah there are some great views from there, don’t get me wrong. My own ST is in the Main Stand and I love it. It just feels like it could have been so much better, but like you say the cranked footprint probably made it difficult.

I think they mainly got it wrong in not trying to better replicate the old WHL. The desire for a massive Kop is not always the best route for great atmosphere. The old WHL was famous for its tight double-decker bowl... with good proportioned upper tiers in both end stands, but more importantly for having the popular section on the sides with the east stands shelf being home to the most vociferous. Goodison was once like this too with the old Goodison Rd enclosure holding over 20k.... creating a cross pitch roar that reverberated around the whole stadium. Similar for the Kippax at Maine Rd, Kop at Brum etc. That shorter cross field distance meant the place was more readily filled with noise echoing back off the nearer opposite stand and spreading chants around the whole stadium. They should've gone with a larger version of the old east stand double decker on one side, with a large safe-standing lower tier. Instead, they've chucked them all in the large south stand with a very slightly up turned high roof. The effect has not been the same but they at least got better proportions and unity than at the Emirates.
Yep puts it better than I could of

There is a significant cost associated with things you cannot see or are outside of the stadum envelope. Ultimately you are not comparing apples with apples.

I'm not an expert on construction, but I have to imagine there are some unique (i.e.: expensive) foundational things they had to build to put up such a massive structure literally next to a major body of water.

I've always had my doubts about the stadium costs. Owners often beef them up to exaggerate the quality (and probably boost any sell on value), and to temper the fans desire to "go big".... so that they can control prices by limiting supply, as at Juventus. At the time of the proposals Feyenoord were quoting £400m for a structurally more complex 63k, triple-tier stadium, with closing roof and also on partly reclaimed land. Moshiri's own design for Roma was quoted as €300m for the same capacity, but again in many ways a structurally more complex design....
But haven’t Feyenoord canned their new stadium, and current estimates for Roma are north of £500m now, while being 1 year behind schedule already?
Both ‘estimates’ look like pie in the sky now Tbf.

I'm tempted to lobby the club to turn the stadium in to a luxury hotel resort complete with cheese and wine evenings, several indoor pools, a tropical dome and multiple world-leading restaurants. We can still play our games behind closed doors at Goodison, but broadcast them LIVE to the watching fans in a huge, classy auditorium within the BMD World resort.

Let our awful players toil away at an empty, cold, wet Goodison while the fans get to enjoy a fully immersive experience in the BMD World Resort Auditorium, complete with massaging seats, Chang on tap and artificial pitch side noises. It's the least the club can do to apologise for the misery they bring us year-in, year-out.

I'm not an expert on construction, but I have to imagine there are some unique (i.e.: expensive) foundational things they had to build to put up such a massive structure literally next to a major body of water.

There is definitely additional cost to the build due to the location as it's a marine environment. That means that most things, especially anything exposed, has to be designed/ specified with that in mind which costs more.

The foundations (sub-structure) is more complicated due to the dock location. Not only was there a huge cost to infill the dock, the whole stadium is then supported on nearly 3,000 concrete piles up to 15m deep because it can't be supported on the infill material as it will be settling for decades. Furthermore the ground floor slab will also need to be suspended as it also can't be supported by the infill material. That in turn means that all the below ground drainage and services (gas, electric, comms etc) also need to be suspended because they can't be allowed to settle with the fill.

There is generally always a huge amount of cost 'in the ground' with any construction project i.e. stuff that you cannot see but is necessary. This is even more so with the stadium due to the location which is why it is pointless comparing it to other stadium sites, particularly in other countries.

We are paying a considerable premium to locate the stadium where it is.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back