New Everton Stadium

Looking at the rake of the east and west upper and the relatively low roof on the two ends, the acoustics are going to be second to none.

This could be a bear pit like no other.

The roof is very high above the fans at the north stand and fairly high above those at the souh stand.

Up turned roofs generally have less acoustic capture than downturned ones. For instance, the south tribune at Dortmund is slightly downturned giving greater reflection to spread noise and chants at that end to give greater unity, that is then projected out into the whole stadium. The old Kop at Anfield had a shed like roof and was probably more famed for its atmosphere than the larger Holt End for this reason. Spurs new South stand has been criticised by some for being too airy and not quite the acoustic mass that was intended.

However, there can be a difference between whole-stadium acoustics/atmosphere and that for traditional home end approach alone. The barrel roof could contain/reflect the whole stadium sound really well to bring down that threshhold for fan engagement. Wembley does that, but the format is hopeless in terms of unified chants at the ends compared to the old Wembley. It will be about the balance between a big occasion stadium and one that can be atmospheric on all occasions or can turn into a bearpit on any pivotal moment.

I think that looks like the plan, and I think they're maybe more than one of these perforated panels. This allows some wind to get through the first, less through the second etc. Otherwise if no wind can penetrate, you are just moving the wind problem to another part of the building (probably the roof lip/edge which may then be susceptible to lifting)
Could be wrong but I think the perforations provide the stripey pattern in the roof design.

Always baffled me this, surely there's weather insulation behind those? Otherwise it'll be freezing inside and it'll whistle like mad when it's windy. I'm sure all that is sorted but just can't work it out how.

The roof is very high above the fans at the north stand and fairly high above those at the souh stand.

Up turned roofs generally have less acoustic capture than downturned ones. For instance, the south tribune at Dortmund is slightly downturned giving greater reflection to spread noise and chants at that end to give greater unity, that is then projected out into the whole stadium. The old Kop at Anfield had a shed like roof and was probably more famed for its atmosphere than the larger Holt End for this reason. Spurs new South stand has been criticised by some for being too airy and not quite the acoustic mass that was intended.

However, there can be a difference between whole-stadium acoustics/atmosphere and that for traditional home end approach alone. The barrel roof could contain/reflect the whole stadium sound really well to bring down that threshhold for fan engagement. Wembley does that, but the format is hopeless in terms of unified chants at the ends compared to the old Wembley. It will be about the balance between a big occasion stadium and one that can be atmospheric on all occasions or can turn into a bearpit on any pivotal moment.
When they built the new Wembley, they made sure that the internal surfaces such glass in the corporate sections were all off set to varying angles, so that there wouldn't be echoes during concerts. I wonder if that has impacted the ability to create an atmosphere at the football

Could be wrong but I think the perforations provide the stripey pattern in the roof design.

Always baffled me this, surely there's weather insulation behind those? Otherwise it'll be freezing inside and it'll whistle like mad when it's windy. I'm sure all that is sorted but just can't work it out how.
pointless putting insulation in when there is a mahoosive hole in the roof

Just been to Bramley Moore and that last white tower crane has come down.

Attachments

• 20230514_112331.webp
    20230514_112331.webp
    639.7 KB · Views: 185
I can’t wait for us to announce a creative naming deal like everybody else does and having the Police, Interpol, the FBI, Miss Marple, The Pinkertons and Hercule Poirot all tearing into Everton HQ demanding to see what’s in the filing cabinets

I think the stands should be named as they are, North, East, South and West and only when new heroes or champions happen in the new stadium should we name them after those.
It’s a fresh start, we need new heroes.

As a great philosopher once said, ‘you have to put your past behind you’

A great philosopher also once said

“Naughty, naughty, very naughty”

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back