New Everton Stadium

The 'gaps' are movement joints which are replicated through the entire structure. Each stand is effectively independant from the next in structural terms. The East and West stands sit wholly within the old infilled dock and are potentially susceptible to settlement over time due to the soft silts that were left insitu prior to infilling. The North and South stands straddle the dockside AND the infill so will potentially settle differently to the others.
Just to be clear, the majority of the stadium is supported on piles which go down to bedrock. The concrete floor slab and steel/ concrete frame are supported by these. However, there are elements of the build like the pitch and external paving which obviously aren't supported by piles and it's these that will be susceptible to any differential settlement.

A lot of this settlement has already taken place so we aren't likely to see anything, however it will continue to settle for decades yet so over time the club will need to make interventions such as re-laying the pitch, re-laying sections of external paving etc.

As said mate, the South stand side of the expansion gap already sits proud of the East stand, so some movement has already taken place.
Any difference in the height of the roof will be down to deflection of the roof steelwork rather than settlement of the structure as it's pretty much all supported on piles down to bedrock. The North and South stands have those huge super trusses which will deflect differently to the cantilevered type sections supporting the east and west stands.

I wouldn't have thought that there was any 'settling' as that would be uncontrolled movement. Sand is a pretty solid base if it is fully contained. It will be more likely heat expansion that the gaps are needed
The whole roof dropped 450mm when all the supports were removed, they expected it to move between 300 and 600 mm so it was exactly in between where they hoped. That info came from the chief engineer when i went on the tour

The whole roof dropped 450mm when all the supports were removed, they expected it to move between 300 and 600 mm so it was exactly in between where they hoped. That info came from the chief engineer when i went on the tour
Do they say that will be the end of it dropping? There`s an airport in Japan that was built on reclaimed land that has sunk 38 feet and is still going. I know its not exactly the same thing and compared to that the stadium is very small, but even if things are 99.9% perfect, that still means there`s 0.1% chance of something going wrong (or doing an Everton).

Do they say that will be the end of it dropping? There`s an airport in Japan that was built on reclaimed land that has sunk 38 feet and is still going. I know its not exactly the same thing and compared to that the stadium is very small, but even if things are 99.9% perfect, that still means there`s 0.1% chance of something going wrong (or doing an Everton).

It should have had the worst over and done with now, probably talking mm over many many years.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back