New Everton Stadium

I can see peoples point when they reckon the inside looks bland but I think it's been specifically designed for atmosphere so it's pointless to judge it without a crowd inside. Unlike the outside which is looking really well.
I'm not sure there is another landmark stadium in the UK quite like it from an architectural point of view.
Villa park and Ibrox have the beautiful old brickwork. Other than those heritage structures.
Spurs and Arsenal have pretty bland exteriors and most others are a mish mash of function over style.
The first night game at BMD will be quite something!
Ibrox still has its old Leitch Mainstand with the original brick facade. They perched a new third tier above the old upper tier in the 90s with a new roof and corner stair wells, preserving the facade. Unfortunately, Villa demolished their Trinity Rd Mainstand with its original Leitch facade to build a much larger stand. They had built a modern facsimile brick facade on the new Holte end, as a nod to the old Leitch mainstand, in the 90s. But it is not the original.

The Emirates and NWHL are both more complex stadia than BMD. The Emirates was quite height restrained and possibly a bit overly corporate dominated which has led to not the best proportions. The result being fantastic corporate/hospitality sections, but not a great atmosphere. At NWHL, they were less height restrained and they improved on those proportions, bringing people closer to the pitch and incorporating a massive single tier home end to try to boost the atmosphere. Again, their executive/corporate offer is fantastic, much larger than at BMD and over several dedicated tiers. Both the large London Stadia are multi-tier format with some overlapping of tiers, and slightly more reminiscent of the large European stadia in Spain/Italy. Their footprints sitting almost within BMD's for over 60k capacities. BMD is a simpler, more functional bowl format, possibly more similar to some German stadia. With a two tier format (with little overlap), but with the lower tier at the South stand raised in rake angle, to form a single tier end stand, with a super-riser to divide standing and seated sections. The super riser at BMD is much more prominent than the one at Spurs. Hopefully, it will appear less so when full. While our attempt at mimicking the Yellow wall is smaller than Spurs, it does wrap around the corners more fully, bringing more people closer to the roof. Hopefully that will create a better amphitheatre effect to boost the noise in our version. It is a shame that they didn't stick to the original size at that end. Those extra 10-15 rows could've added that little additional capacity and vocal muscle to really boost the atmosphere.

I was at Spurs the other week. It is a fantastic stadium. However, I noticed when it rained, lots of people in the front of the west stand lower tier got a good soaking. Many leaving their seats. This happens at several new stadia with upturned and very high roof lines. I had hoped that we would've learnt that lesson, and extended our roof line at least another 5-10m to the edge of pitch (or further). The result would've been both better acoustics and better protection. IMO, a full or closing roof would've gone even further on both those counts and elevated BMD above all other UK club stadia.

Last edited:
Ibrox still has its old Leitch Mainstand with the original brick facade. They perched a new third tier above the old upper tier in the 90s with a new roof and corner stair wells, preserving the facade. Unfortunately, Villa demolished their Trinity Rd Mainstand with its original Leitch facade to build a much larger stand. They had built a modern facsimile brick facade on the new Holte end, as a nod to the old Leitch mainstand, in the 90s. But it is not the original.

The Emirates and NWHL are both more complex stadia than BMD. The Emirates was quite height restrained and possibly a bit overly corporate dominated which has led to not the best proportions. The result being fantastic corporate/hospitality sections, but not a great atmosphere. At NWHL, they were less height restrained and they improved on those proportions, bringing people closer to the pitch and incorporating a massive single tier home end to try to boost the atmosphere. Again, their executive/corporate offer is fantastic, much larger than at BMD and over several dedicated tiers. Both the large London Stadia are multi-tier format with some overlapping of tiers, and slightly more reminiscent of the large European stadia in Spain/Italy. Their footprints sitting almost within BMD's for over 60k capacities. BMD is a simpler, more functional bowl format, possibly more similar to some German stadia. With a two tier format (with little overlap), but with the lower tier at the South stand raised in rake angle, to form a single tier end stand, with a super-riser to divide standing and seated sections. The super riser at BMD is much more prominent than the one at Spurs. Hopefully, it will appear less so when full. While our attempt at mimicking the Yellow wall is smaller than Spurs, it does wrap around the corners more fully, bringing more people closer to the roof. Hopefully that will create a better amphitheatre effect to boost the noise in our version. It is a shame that they didn't stick to the original size at that end. Those extra 10-15 rows could've added that little additional capacity and vocal muscle to really boost the atmosphere.

I was at Spurs the other week. It is a fantastic stadium. However, I noticed when it rained, lots of people in the front of the west stand lower tier got a good soaking. Many leaving their seats. This happens at several new stadia with upturned and very high roof lines. I had hoped that we would've learnt that lesson, and extended our roof line at least another 5-10m to the edge of pitch (or further). The result would've been both better acoustics and better protection. IMO, a full or closing roof would've gone even further on both those counts and elevated BMD above all other UK club stadia.
When it comes to roof lines Tom, do you think the decision to not extend it further by an additional 5-10m is a cost saving exercise or for aesthetic reasons?

You'd imagine they had all kinds of weather data at their disposal where they could manipulate wind/rain in all directions on a model which would show that the front 5-7 rows will be severely exposed to grim weather.

I just wonder what the thinking is when it comes to decisions like this and whether it's a cost saving exercise or has things to do with weight dispersion

Wait till you see my reaction, I’ll be a blubbering wreck

It's criminal that you haven't been allowed in yet Baz. You've tried to record every beam, rafter, seat, roof panel and even grain of sand. Maybe they just don't want to see a grown man cry. There was an old fella next to me with our group on our visit. Like everyone else, I was busy trying to take it all in when we stepped out on to the South stand upper tier. This old guy was quite emotional. It had taken his breath away. There'll be a lot of that on day one. So, I hope you get your visit very soon.

Supporter group meeting update

*BMD*

You will all receive an email at the end of October with how long you’ve held your Season Ticket for. You will need to confirm or challenge this with the club.

The same thing for memberships will happen, how long you’ve had one, against your place in the season ticket waiting list.

Pricing for BMD per stands will come after that. There will be various prices as in the better views cost more. They will also at this stage give everyone an overview of each stand. You will also find out at this stage how many extra season tickets will become available. But they have said to not expect this too high because the game by game demand is much higher now. They literally won’t give a figure on this right now.

On sale dates will be very similar to the usual season ticket sale dates, so after Christmas. They have said this will be virtual picking not actually at BMD

Priority order is based on tenure they have confirmed but they won’t give any further details on exact structure yet as it’s not signed off, due to people wanting to sit together who may of held season tickets for a different length of time.

The only thing they have confirmed, is the new ‘family’ stand you will only be eligible to sit there if you have someone under 18

*Goodison*
Last game at Goodison, they will know the exact date the weekend after the FA Cup Semi final, but due to the weekend it is in, the FA CUP is the Saturday so the game will have to be the Friday, Sunday or Monday.

They will release details on what and how you can buy from Goodison next year sometime. As everyone is asking about their seats, they are in talks about everything so nothing at this stage can be confirmed

The 3 concerts at Goodison are still in talks with many people. Nothing close to being announced

BMD will have to have by law 3 test events all football orientated, small scale, medium and full capacity..fans that are invited will have to partake in tests such as an evacuation etc. Coach parking, although not announced where, will be about the same distance away from the ground as Priory road but they MAY charge to park. EFC do not have the keys to BMD yet and expect to get them around Xmas, sometime in the new year they will have an open session for all supporters clubs to visit at the same time for about 30 minutes only. This will not be a choose your seat event, merely an orientation visit. They would not be drawn on new ticket prices, but if you are on the ST waiting list don't get your hopes up as the implications given seemed to be that they want as many of the extra 12k of seats to be high yield (their words) as possible i.e. Far eastern tourists paying a premium who will spend a fortune in the shop on their only visit (my words not theirs but that was my impression).

What’s the cost of a closing roof?

I would love to see a cost/benefit analysis as it could really have opened the stadium up as the top arena in the country

It's criminal that you haven't been allowed in yet Baz. You've tried to record every beam, rafter, seat, roof panel and even grain of sand. Maybe they just don't want to see a grown man cry. There was an old fella next to me with our group on our visit. Like everyone else, I was busy trying to take it all in when we stepped out on to the South stand upper tier. This old guy was quite emotional. It had taken his breath away. There'll be a lot of that on day one. So, I hope you get your visit very soon.
Thanks Tom, really appreciate that.
Still no news on our SA tour?

What’s the cost of a closing roof?

I would love to see a cost/benefit analysis as it could really have opened the stadium up as the top arena in the country

I said at the time it was being announced that we should do another Everton first: First indoor stadium. We don't need sunlight anymore, not with hydroponics. Conditions would always be perfect for footy, with no wind, rain and temperature control/air con. Atmosphere/noise would be off the scale. and as you say, it would have been the premier arena in the country.

I'm not complaining though, I love the new place, and I never actually thought something like that would be considered.

I said at the time it was being announced that we should do another Everton first: First indoor stadium. We don't need sunlight anymore, not with hydroponics. Conditions would always be perfect for footy, with no wind, rain and temperature control/air con. Atmosphere/noise would be off the scale. and as you say, it would have been the premier arena in the country.

I'm not complaining though, I love the new place, and I never actually thought something like that would be considered.
You know for a fact dyche would insist on the roof being open

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back