Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are appointing a director of football then we are appointing a coach instead of a manager.

Martinez however wouldn't have made a good director of football. If you take Lukaku out of the equation which he was lucky to get and like Deulofeu everyone knew his talents before then the rest of his signings were very average.

I doubt if we sold them all now excluding those two we would make a profit. Frankly I doubt we would even make a profit on any of them individually.

He had a dream and guiding philosophy how to play with no idea how to implement it at the highest level.

Why would you take Lukaku and Deulofeu out of the equation? He signed them. You can't just say he got lucky or that everyone knew, he pulled off the signings. Some of his early signings were stop gaps to cover first choice players if they were injured with the likes of McCarthy for the long term and other older players to teach. Then there are all the like of Stones and Galloway who came to the fore under Martinez and as for the youth players he put into the academy, well just have to wait and see how they turn out.

Martinez's problem was too much positivity and not knowing when to stfu, that and his stubbornness for constently attacking. He lived by his philosophy and died by it, fair play to him. That doesn't mean he wouldn't make a good director of football, he'd have done an excellent job of overseeing the academy and continued to mould it. If you look up director of football it doesn't have a strict definition anyway, seeing as how Martinez is very unlikely to get a PL job anytime soon I think we could have used his best attributes to our advantage at the very least.

Ronald has said no gifs for the next hour

QfDQlUe.gif

Doesn't look good does it. Koeman and emery look to have turned us down (imo our top 2 targets). So I reckon it's between pelligrini and de boer with pelligrini favourite by the looks of it.
Looks like it. If we were going for Koeman then we'd have to approach Southampton as he's still under contract. Any move for him would have plenty of mileage left in it.

I'm sure we've contacted him indirectly, but it's getting to the point where I'd have thought we'd have to move on from him if he doesn't give us a positive answer fairly soon.

Why would you take Lukaku and Deulofeu out of the equation? He signed them. You can't just say he got lucky or that everyone knew, he pulled off the signings. Some of his early signings were stop gaps to cover first choice players if they were injured with the likes of McCarthy for the long term and other older players to teach. Then there are all the like of Stones and Galloway who came to the fore under Martinez and as for the youth players he put into the academy, well just have to wait and see how they turn out.

Martinez's problem was too much positivity and not knowing when to stfu, that and his stubbornness for constently attacking. He lived by his philosophy and died by it, fair play to him. That doesn't mean he wouldn't make a good director of football, he'd have done an excellent job of overseeing the academy and continued to mould it. If you look up director of football it doesn't have a strict definition anyway, seeing as how Martinez is very unlikely to get a PL job anytime soon I think we could have used his best attributes to our advantage at the very least.

Look - he signed Niasse. So game over.

Pellegrini now seems like a realistic option. I was convinced he was going to Valencia.

Pellegrini
Pearson
Van Gaal

One of those three for me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.