Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been saying it for weeks, but people don't seem to be taking me seriously - why aren't we approaching Mike Bassett?

Local lad, lives in the area, ex-England manager so has a high profile and loads of contacts throughout the world of football. I'd love to see what he could do with Mosh's war chest.

The likes of Moyes and Hughes are great at working on a shoe string budget............ put real money and egos in front of them........... and they crumble.That's why Allardyce and Pulis are so good at what they do................Not to be disrespectful to either ... but..... they know their place.If we were in a relegation dog fight with(after sacking a manager) 8 games to go......you would call one of those two.. before any of the so called big boys...... because that would be completely alien to them.

Last edited:
I don't think anything of note will be happening until Koeman returns from his Caribbean break & he's asked the permission of his paymasters to speak with us.

The likes of Moyes and Hughes are great at working on a shoe string budget............ put real money and egos in front of them........... and they crumble.That's why Allardyce and Pulis are so good at what they do................Not to be disrespectful to either ... but..... they know their place.If we were in a relegation dog fight with(after sacking a manager) 8 games to go......you would call one of those two,

Of those four names, the one I would like to see given an opportunity to operate with a transfer real budget - such as we're rumoured to be making available - would be Sam Allardyce.

I'm not saying we should approach him, just that of all of these, he has never had a massive budget to work with (a decent one at West Ham maybe)... has a proven track record in the transfer market, some of his signings when at Bolton were outrageously good... he can certainly coach a defence to improve... his teams make lots of scoring chances albeit not from an aesthetically 'beautiful on the eye' style of play... he would not take any BS from any prima-donna in the squad... and he's never been relegated.

The chance of Moyes return is not high, but he actually did well in our club. To be fair, he had no money to spend unless he sold the players, he maintained top 10 with occasional European competitions is excellent performance, many Evertonian said he is no ambition, I don't know why, he is no resources to spend, he need to sell our "star player" every year, it is his fault? Only 14-15 quality players can be used in the whole season, if some players injured, the results get worst, it is his fault? I don't see it is related to his ambition or not.
Mate he held us back, not money. Granted he should have been backed more and thst is a who knows scenario we will always carry.

But it was him fearing other teams that cost us when it came to the games. How many results did have drop because we feared reading, qpr, Norwich? Etc how many derbies did we play with Moyes mind thinking it was dagleish rush keegan rather than the crap team in front of him? How many results dropped defending 1 0 leads, or not attacking 2 1 losses?

That is why I stopped supporting Moyes after 10 years, that was never going to change and therefore any chance of success was gone. Everton didn't have a glass ceiling, Moyes did. Proof is he couldn't even take United past that 5th place.

Of those four names, the one I would like to see given an opportunity to operate with a transfer real budget - such as we're rumoured to be making available - would be Sam Allardyce.

I'm not saying we should approach him, just that of all of these, he has never had a massive budget to work with (a decent one at West Ham maybe)... has a proven track record in the transfer market, some of his signings when at Bolton were outrageously good... he can certainly coach a defence to improve... his teams make lots of scoring chances albeit not from an aesthetically 'beautiful on the eye' style of play... he would not take any BS from any prima-donna in the squad... and he's never been relegated.
I know what you mean......... maybe ... he could rule the world with big money....... I think he would fall in to the same Moyes/Hughes bracket.Who out of the so called big boys would give him a chance ???? None of them...... that's why he knows his place......... Shame like.

It seems Overmars is set for the DoF job but someone mentioned Moyes for the DoF job on here earlier, I don't know if they meant it's happening or they would like that to happen... it's an interesting thought as Moyes found some great players for very small fees and I am sure he's bound to have good connections across the football scene, plus, if possible contractually, he could double up as a defensive coach, again one of his better qualities. @The Esk is there any or could there ever be any truth in this? Was that maybe what the supposed meetings and phone calls are about?

Very funny, Moyes actually suitable the job of DoF, but sure I don’t think he will forgive the coaching job at his middle managerial ages.

To be honest i don't really want him. Koeman has done well the past two seasons, no doubt, but his previous record concerns me. Sacked by Ajax, resigned due to poor performance at benfica and Valencia, sacked at AZ, in fact he has only not been sacked by psv and his last two jobs at feynoord and Southampton.

I may be wrong but I believe les reed is the director of football at Saints, who deals with identifying and signing players, that is a big factor in their success. He could be great for us or he could be like most of his jobs, without reed, a total mess.
That's my worry with Koeman, he could easily be a Laudrup, his past record is not great. It always seems to me that in football we tend to overemphasise recent performance and just ignore the longer term performance. Personally be happy if he stays at Southampton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back