Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's Pellegrini's fault that City are suspect in defence - it's his defenders. City are brilliant when they have Kompany, poor when they don't. Indicates it's not the tactics but the quality of the players he has. Otamendi has been decent for them but Mangala and Demichelis have been utterly shocking, and an aging, lazy Yaya in front of them is not helping their cause.

As for the "Should be walking the league with that team" argument, almost all of City's best players are injury prone - Aguero, Kompany, Silva et al. If they could all keep fit, I'm confident they would win the league this season. Kompany has been a huge miss throughout and Silva's hamstring just keeps getting pulled. If he is to come I hope he doesn't bring that clown Bergiristan with him to fill the DoF role as well - he was responsible for spending over £40m on Mangala.

Plus they have conceded just as many goals as Southampton this season (41), and people laud Koeman as being able to organise a defence. They are also the league's highest scorers.

We probably have to cut Pellegrini a bit of slack defensively considering Kompany was out for a huge part of the season. Despite that, and despite the fact that he was a lame duck manager with MONTHS to go in the season, getting to CL Semis and 4th in the league isn't a bad result!
It is when you spend £150m in doing so.

I don't think it's Pellegrini's fault that City are suspect in defence - it's his defenders. City are brilliant when they have Kompany, poor when they don't. Indicates it's not the tactics but the quality of the players he has. Otamendi has been decent for them but Mangala and Demichelis have been utterly shocking, and an aging, lazy Yaya in front of them is not helping their cause.

As for the "Should be walking the league with that team" argument, almost all of City's best players are injury prone - Aguero, Kompany, Silva et al. If they could all keep fit, I'm confident they would win the league this season. Kompany has been a huge miss throughout and Silva's hamstring just keeps getting pulled. If he is to come I hope he doesn't bring that clown Bergiristan with him to fill the DoF role as well - he was responsible for spending over £40m on Mangala.

Plus they have conceded just as many goals as Southampton this season (41), and people laud Koeman as being able to organise a defence. They are also the league's highest scorers.

True. However, on the flip side, Pellegrini chose to sign Mangala, Demichelis, and Otamendi, a few examples of questionable judgment which make me anxious about appointing him.

As for the "Should be walking the league with that team" argument, almost all of City's best players are injury prone - Aguero, Kompany, Silva et al. If they could all keep fit, I'm confident they would win the league this season. Kompany has been a huge miss throughout and Silva's hamstring just keeps getting pulled. If he is to come I hope he doesn't bring that clown Bergiristan with him to fill the DoF role.

He spent huge on Mangala and the Argentinian lad (can't remember his name) he also persisted with Demechellis for way too long, popular belief is now that Guardiola is going to have to more or less start again with City's defence. He also spent big on fernando, Bony, Navas and Sterling....who have in now way played up to their price tag.

United finished 5th

I think Soton got 6th last season?

Aye of course they did, forgot about that delayed Utd game. They still finished 3 points off 4th though? Closer than Martinez got us in his "amazing" first season. And with a -£20m net spend over two years? Very impressive.

I struggle to understand the amount of Evertonians who really can't get on board with Koeman to be honest. I'd love him. I think if it did happen you'd find fans of most other clubs would be pretty envious too.

It is when you spend £150m in doing so.
But isn't some of that down to City's DoF? Is saying that despite injuries, his lame duck status (remember how Everton's squad performed even before RM's departure had been announced) that Pellegrini was "not that bad" really a stretch? And the guy certainly has a very solid CV. Guys, we now live in a world where Leicester City and Ranieri (a guy who was "too old" and certainly didn't have near the recent success as Pellegrini) are champions. Pellegrini is not my top choice, but I could definitely give him the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back