Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Esk old son, it must be the case no matter how unnerving it can be for the fans. My concern is the potential throttling of blue tradition if this new potential structure goes through it could involve the loss of jobs with the likes of Rhino, Dunc and Sheeds being replaced by Spanish imports. The director of football title has had many notable failures, it appears to add an extra structure helping to distance the owner from day to day involvement creating a remote unapproachable figure making the ultimate decisions. If such an individual is needed Joe could easily do the job and help protect our traditions for the future.

Whilst we may enjoy the coming years storm cones should remain as so many slips and snags exist including on field failure bring Moshiri to the point of pulling out like Warner has at Villa

I think this is a very good point. I can only hope that people have seen the positive work that specifically Unsworth has done and we don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Moshiri seems an astute guy and I suspect he will be aware of the good work Unsworth has done and may if not stipulate certainly indicate it is worthwhile keeping that in place.

In all honesty Emery would probably be quite sensible to keep a space in his coaching staff for people like Unsworth and/or Fergusan. Normally you are 3-4 people involved in the first team squad. Having Unsworth and/or Fergusan involved in the first team alongside maybe a couple of people he knows well would bode well and help him with the transition into the English game.

As for the DOF I am not sure it does fulfil that role. A positive DOF-manager relationship should be organic and about supporting the manager. Too often we get people with huge ego's who are not best qualified filling those roles in England who seem to love going into conflict with managers. It's partly why it's never caught on. It should be a supportive role. One positive I have heard around the DOF appointment is that the parameters set will be in part by the manager which is a major positive as it indicates he has a role in setting duties which is how it should be.

Hours of scouting, targeting, travelling, interacting with agents and players adds a lot of additional pressure to managers. Also with the strategic direction of the club is a pressure many can do without. Ronnie Goodlass spoke well on it and said it helped in Holland. He could sit and talk tactics with the manager and how he was going to play and then talk money with the DOF. It helped strengthen the relationship with the manager.

Too often you get what seemed to happen with Liverpool with a committee telling Rodgers he had to take players. For me a good DOF listens to a manager, what areas he needs support in and tries to give him as many viable options as possible with the most in depth information. Big Joe is a wonderful man and had we have appointed Unsworth would be perfect for the role, but I'm not sure given his age it would suit him.

Hi @The Esk, could you please just write the following:

"Hi everyone. After an intense three-week search, I can confirm Unai Emery has been appointed Everton manager on an initial four-year contract, while his Sevilla associate Monchi has been appointed to the role of sporting director with immediate effect. They are drawing up transfer targets as I type."

As soon as you do, Chris Beesley will ctrl+c/ctrl+v it onto The Echo website, where the national media will quickly pick it up. At that point everyone will be too polite to demur and we'll have a new management team.

Exactly, just like Fox News calling the election for Bush before the counting had finished.

I can't wait for the new season. Its such a exciting time for the club, and the fans at the moment and i can't wait for whsts to come.

Well, not based on fresh information no, but the positive noises from yesterday combined with so far a lack of any further information usually indicates you're in the end game - particularly as it was thought earlier in the week a conclusion would be drawn this week.

Were the noises from yesterday positive? I'm so fatigued now by all of this, I've forgotten!

It is quite astonishing how little media coverage there has been about the vacancy being filled.
Understandably the Mourinho to Utd was a huge thing for the media in general and Sky in particular.
But, eventually even that story ran out of steam.

However, the level of coverage about the Everton job has been even less than you would expect.
They haven't even really assembled the cast of managers THEY think may be interested.

I think this is probably because the whole process is being kept incredibly private. For all the information that has come from the media it could be anyone from Moyes to Simeone, the media just don't seem to know. Maybe because many of the meetings are happening on the continent and the British media are not hearing about it.
Are we appointing a DOF and if so , then who, they have no idea about what is going on.

In part , I think we were used to the way Bill Kenwright did things. He likes the media and was happy to operate in that envoirnment. Now, it does appear that the process has gone completely underground(maybe that is where Mole is getting his information).

There is a process going on , the club is talking to managers and if not for @The Esk then the average supporter would certainly be forgiven for believing that Moyes was a serious contender to return or possibly FDB or maybe Manuel Pellegrini.
Koeman would not be talked about at this stage and Emery never talked about at all.

The whole thing has been handled so privately and so secretively that it would almost not surpise us anymore if Simeone was announced. We know things are different at Everton , being done in a different way, just how different is possibly what has us all agog as each day goes by.

I think this is a very good point. I can only hope that people have seen the positive work that specifically Unsworth has done and we don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Moshiri seems an astute guy and I suspect he will be aware of the good work Unsworth has done and may if not stipulate certainly indicate it is worthwhile keeping that in place.

In all honesty Emery would probably be quite sensible to keep a space in his coaching staff for people like Unsworth and/or Fergusan. Normally you are 3-4 people involved in the first team squad. Having Unsworth and/or Fergusan involved in the first team alongside maybe a couple of people he knows well would bode well and help him with the transition into the English game.

As for the DOF I am not sure it does fulfil that role. A positive DOF-manager relationship should be organic and about supporting the manager. Too often we get people with huge ego's who are not best qualified filling those roles in England who seem to love going into conflict with managers. It's partly why it's never caught on. It should be a supportive role. One positive I have heard around the DOF appointment is that the parameters set will be in part by the manager which is a major positive as it indicates he has a role in setting duties which is how it should be.

Hours of scouting, targeting, travelling, interacting with agents and players adds a lot of additional pressure to managers. Also with the strategic direction of the club is a pressure many can do without. Ronnie Goodlass spoke well on it and said it helped in Holland. He could sit and talk tactics with the manager and how he was going to play and then talk money with the DOF. It helped strengthen the relationship with the manager.

Too often you get what seemed to happen with Liverpool with a committee telling Rodgers he had to take players. For me a good DOF listens to a manager, what areas he needs support in and tries to give him as many viable options as possible with the most in depth information. Big Joe is a wonderful man and had we have appointed Unsworth would be perfect for the role, but I'm not sure given his age it would suit him.

I think Martinez having Duncan on the bench was more about making him look good with the fans than anything else. There were times that during half time the team could have done with a rocket from Ferguson, but he was sent out to play keepy uppy with the subs. I could do that frankly.

So yeah genuine roles for Ferguson, Sheedy and Unsworth.

All seems awfully quiet, and I'm going to pretend that no news is good news. Imagine not knowing anything about who we were after though, I'd of been slowly resigning myself to Moyes over the past weeks.

Emery coming in would be a big statement of intent, and would also stick two fingers up at the likes of Danny Murphy who want Everton to continue being parts on the head in 11th place. Bet you won't be calling us the entertainers when we snot Liverpool at anfield!

I think Martinez having Duncan on the bench was more about making him look good with the fans than anything else. There were times that during half time the team could have done with a rocket from Ferguson, but he was sent out to play keepy uppy with the subs. I could do that frankly.

So yeah genuine roles for Ferguson, Sheedy and Unsworth.

Yes I agree and he's meant to be a talented young coach. You only need to see how the youngsters talk about him to know that. His body language changed dramatically on moving to the first team. I know he's not everyones cup of tea but there could be a real role for Fergusan in being our Ronnie Moran figure or Phil Thompson to Houllier.

In an ideal world I'd like to see Unsworth increasingly involved in the first team too, but you are sacrificing a lot of fantastic work he's doing with the under 21's. It is a difficult trade off. I'd like to see the role split, possibly moving Sheedy up to the under 21's and Unsworth doing a bit of both before moving into the first team picture.

I also think those roles suit having players who have recently retired and being able to bring through a group with them to the first team. For me I wouldn't discount a lad like Hibbert getting involved in the coaching side.

But yes you are right we shouldn't lose any of the 3 you have mentioned. They need to be kept around the set up.

It is quite astonishing how little media coverage there has been about the vacancy being filled.
Understandably the Mourinho to Utd was a huge thing for the media in general and Sky in particular.
But, eventually even that story ran out of steam.

However, the level of coverage about the Everton job has been even less than you would expect.
They haven't even really assembled the cast of managers THEY think may be interested.

I think this is probably because the whole process is being kept incredibly private. For all the information that has come from the media it could be anyone from Moyes to Simeone, the media just don't seem to know. Maybe because many of the meetings are happening on the continent and the British media are not hearing about it.
Are we appointing a DOF and if so , then who, they have no idea about what is going on.

In part , I think we were used to the way Bill Kenwright did things. He likes the media and was happy to operate in that envoirnment. Now, it does appear that the process has gone completely underground(maybe that is where Mole is getting his information).

There is a process going on , the club is talking to managers and if not for @The Esk then the average supporter would certainly be forgiven for believing that Moyes was a serious contender to return or possibly FDB or maybe Manuel Pellegrini.
Koeman would not be talked about at this stage and Emery never talked about at all.

The whole thing has been handled so privately and so secretively that it would almost not surpise us anymore if Simeone was announced. We know things are different at Everton , being done in a different way, just how different is possibly what has us all agog as each day goes by.

It's like going back to the Catterick days and I like it. It reflects well on Moshiri and his professionalism. To hell with the media really, aside from the Echo none of them are interested anyway.

If this is the sign of things to come then count me in. Nothing leaked, first you hear of it on the back of the Echo will do me fine. What's odd is I don't feel in the least bit worried. There appears to be no panic, it's calm and rational. I fully expect us to have a top manager very soon and I think it will shock a lot of the football world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back