Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has seemed for a while now that it's Pellegrini or De Boer, with Mourinho as wildcard (some wildcard, though).

Presuming both would accept, it's an intriguing choice.

Pellegrini, the known quantity, high-profile, savvy, experienced. Could he replicate the impact he made at Villarreal and Malaga? Probably a shorter-term appointment to leave better things for a successor? Has he now peaked in terms of career achievement? Certainly the lower risk option.

De Boer, decorated player, outstanding pedigree but untested in an elite league. Higher risk but potentially greater return. Could build a longer-term legacy if successful. Could also prove to be underwhelming, average, or indeed a flop, leaving us looking for another manager in 12-18 months.

I am increasingly seeing Pellegrini as the "steady the ship" option which, whilst not getting my pulse going, appeals nonetheless given the shambles we have had to witness, particularly of late. I have said repeatedly that we could do far, far worse in appointing someone with his CV and credentials.

I can also be vaulted here for expressing my unease about De Boer simply as he is an unknown quantity in an elite league. Mind you, a potential 5 league titles in 6 years is not to be sniffed at. He seems to have at least been considered for jobs at Spurs, Liverpool, and Swansea and wants to take a step up at a time of his own choosing, and in the right environment. Can't do anymore at Ajax.

As with most of us, I'm trying to read the runes of @The Esk postings and wonder now if De Boer is closer to being appointed? Just by virtue of the fact that De Boer seems to place a huge amount of stock in the backroom team he can bring with him and the overall project and that this would lead to potentially longer, but successful negotiations?

It seems we can offer both men most, if not all of the opportunities and challenges they seek in their next job.

At this stage, and I have surprised myself, my head says Pellegrini and heart says De Boer. De Boer offers more in the longer term if he can hit the ground running and we would potentially be back in or around competing with Spurs/Lpool, our closest peers in my eyes. I'm not at all ageist, but I see in Pochettino now a guy that could be at Spurs for years, making them stronger and with multiple CL / title attempts. Wouldn't that be great?

It has seemed for a while now that it's Pellegrini or De Boer, with Mourinho as wildcard (some wildcard, though).

Pellegrini, the known quantity, high-profile, savvy, experienced. Could he replicate the impact he made at Villarreal and Malaga? Probably a shorter-term appointment to leave better things for a successor? Has he now peaked in terms of career achievement? Certainly the lower risk option.

De Boer, decorated player, outstanding pedigree but untested in an elite league. Higher risk but potentially greater return. Could build a longer-term legacy if successful. Could also prove to be underwhelming, average, or indeed a flop, leaving us looking for another manager in 12-18 months.

I am increasingly seeing Pellegrini as the "steady the ship" option which, whilst not getting my pulse going, appeals nonetheless given the shambles we have had to witness, particularly of late. I have said repeatedly that we could do far, far worse in appointing someone with his CV and credentials.

I can also be vaulted here for expressing my unease about De Boer simply as he is an unknown quantity in an elite league. Mind you, a potential 5 league titles in 6 years is not to be sniffed at. He seems to have at least been considered for jobs at Spurs, Liverpool, and Swansea and wants to take a step up a time of his choosing.

As with most of us, I'm trying to read the runes of @The Esk postings and wonder now if De Boer is closer to being appointed? Just by virtue of the fact that De Boer seems to place a huge amount of stock in the backroom team he can bring with him and the overall project and that this would lead to potentially longer, but successful negotiations?

It seems we can offer both men most, if not all of the opportunities and challenges they seek in their next job.

At this stage, and I have surprised myself, my head says Pellegrini and heart says De Boer. De Boer offers more in the longer term if he can hit the ground running and we would potentially be back in or around competing with Spurs/Lpool, our closest peers in my eyes. I'm not at all ageist, but I see in Pochettino now a guy that could be at Spurs for years, making the stronger and with multiple CL / title attempts. Wouldn't that be great?
I have the feeling Koeman is ahead of De Boer in the reckoning. Both approached though.

I have the feeling Koeman is ahead of De Boer in the reckoning. Both approached though.

I hope Mosh realizes the need to overhaul the backroom and that getting De Boer is like getting part of the Ajax academy. However few we graft over from Ajax, it will prove a huge improvement from the shambles left by Martinez.

Of course, unless he approaches Emery, magician of replacing star players and still win trophies, then we'll let his fury take over.

I hope Mosh realizes the need to overhaul the backroom and that getting De Boer is like getting part of the Ajax academy. However few we graft over from Ajax, it will prove a huge improvement from the shambles left by Martinez.

Of course, unless he approaches Emery, magician of replacing star players and still win trophies, then we'll let his fury take over.
The Esk commented a few days ago discussions are based around who each will bring with them as coaching staff.
Seems to be an extensive search this.

I can also be vaulted here for expressing my unease about De Boer simply as he is an unknown quantity in an elite league. Mind you, a potential 5 league titles in 6 years is not to be sniffed at. He seems to have at least been considered for jobs at Spurs, Liverpool, and Swansea and wants to take a step up at a time of his own choosing, and in the right environment. Can't do anymore at Ajax.

At this stage, and I have surprised myself, my head says Pellegrini and heart says De Boer. De Boer offers more in the longer term if he can hit the ground running and we would potentially be back in or around competing with Spurs/Lpool, our closest peers in my eyes. I'm not at all ageist, but I see in Pochettino now a guy that could be at Spurs for years, making them stronger and with multiple CL / title attempts. Wouldn't that be great?
Excellent post and great points made. My preference is De Boer but I wouldn't be adverse to Koeman either I think he's done well at Southampton considering the rebuilding he's had to do in each of his two summers there.

Not directly related but imo it's related somewhat

We've got Mourinho, we've got Mourinho! Crosses fingers, toes and anything else that can be crossed.

Hopefully. Think we need someone to put some backbone into this team and our club again.

As it's sadly lacking.

Excellent post and great points made. My preference is De Boer but I wouldn't be adverse to Koeman either I think he's done well at Southampton considering the rebuilding he's had to do in each of his two summers there.
Also think Koeman may be using us to force Southampton's hand as well.

It seem's at the minute we are an ace in a couple of managerial card games.

Martin ONeil last seen getting sacked by Sunderland and before that plowing through money at Aston Vila and causing one mighty [Poor language removed] up with the effects being seen today. Crazy

BJwgQIqCYAIlo4n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back