Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We should go for a proven winner (as a manager) - not convinced De Boer's Dutch league management experience is enough

De Boer is also a world-cup runner up as an assistant manager, at the age of 39.

He is a massive name, has been and seen it at Ajax and Barcelona, is 100% a football man and fits in with the philosophy that Martinez has implemented. We'd be fools to want him because of a last-minute winner and yet another title, and fools to rule him out just because of one draw which cost them the title.

I'd love to see Stones play under De Boer, Baines, Barkley, Deulofeu, and see how he gives youngsters like Dowell proper chances as he has done at Ajax consistently.

Average age of the team that played on Sunday was 23.5 years old - the eldest 27 (Cillesen) and youngest was 18 (Cerny), with the majority aged c.23. That's the roughly the same age as Barkley. So yeah, those kids were pure chockers, man.

Ajax has to do a squad rebuild pretty much every year because their best players get sold elsewhere, so the constant rebuild to have a title-winning team 4 times in 6 years is no mean feat, even with the production line that Ajax has for replacement players.

I think people forget how young the squad really is and what Frank has had to put up with, I feel he will be great at a club which doesn't sell all their best players and has alot of stability to it and can keep it's best players and build a team around them

If LVG does stay at United (which seems to be the case especially as it's now in their hands to beat City to 4th place), where does Jose go?

I don't know a thing about De Boer, other than what I've read online. He might be a great choice but until Mourinho signs for someone else, I'm going to keep the dream alive.

I think the chances are slim. When was the last time Mourinho undertook a major rebuilding exercise? Porto? A club like us are not his spec.

Even if they win the cup and qualify for CL, United have under achieved. The fans are unhappy, particularly with their style of play and they've had a number of seasons of poor performance (under two different managers). They know they need to get it right soon. They know Mourinho could get any job he wants, they know if he takes another job they'll have to wait another couple of years. He's available now and their manager is under achieving.

It'll happen in the summer whatever happens to United this season.
The expression used most to describe Everton this season is " under achieve". A lot of managers will look at Baines, Stones, Jagielka, Lukaku, Lennon, McCarthy, Besic, Deulofeu, Barkley,Coleman , Funes Mori , Robles and see that there is a solid basis there to work with.
It has been suggested that there could be 100m to spend this summer, if that money could be used to sign five quality players then add those to the best of our youngsters coming through and you are looking at a very decent squad.

It may be that a new manager may see players like Oviedo,Mirallas, Cleverley as having a role to play , and of course there is Gareth Barry.

We should not be looking at recent performances to judge these players. Look at some of the better performances this season and add four or five players to those teams. That is what can be accomplished.

First and foremost I think some of our players have to work a lot harder than they do at present and that is the first challenge facing a new manager.

Tough one that

I mean PSG are the likely ones but I like Blanc and can't see them getting rid of him when he's so highly thought of in France. Especially with their owner saying a couple of weeks ago that he'll stay in charge of them next season.

I'm not sure if you're a big fan of him or not roydo but if we had the chance to have Mourinho for just one season (and were fully aware that he was leaving after the one season), would you take him?

I think he'd be someone who can set us up perfectly to become a team genuinely challenging, and he could do it in one season.

Jose in to 12s with BetVictor (down from 33s, 20s, then 16s). Paddy Power still offering 33s if anyone wants to turn £20 into enough to pay for next year's season ticket with enough left over to enjoy a night on the town celebrating his first derby win

I mean PSG are the likely ones but I like Blanc and can't see them getting rid of him when he's so highly thought of in France. Especially with their owner saying a couple of weeks ago that he'll stay in charge of them next season.

I'm not sure if you're a big fan of him or not roydo but if we had the chance to have Mourinho for just one season (and were fully aware that he was leaving after the one season), would you take him?

I think he'd be someone who can set us up perfectly to become a team genuinely challenging, and he could do it in one season.

FWIW, I would have him in a heartbeat.

But by selling him the new dawn that is set to break over this great club, not some gap year for him until LVG retires.

Jose in to 12s with BetVictor (down from 33s, 20s, then 16s). Paddy Power still offering 33s if anyone wants to turn £20 into enough to pay for next year's season ticket with enough left over to enjoy a night on the town celebrating his first derby win

Paddy Power haven't been offering 33s for ages have they. I've been sticking money on him since saturday morning and the best I could get was 20s.

Some of the quotes flying around the internet (even pre-title loss) about de Boer are scary stuff. People seem to look at his Wikipedia page and think that's enough. Endless Ajax fans saying it's been terrible boring football, sideways passing with no forward movement, no pressing at all, crazy substitutions, stubborn, never ever turn up for big matches...

People point to his Ajax titles when they hadn't won any for a while before that, but it's not always that simple. Apparently some of the other Dutch teams completely fell off a cliff around the time he started (Twente and AZ Alkmaar).

He just scares the eff out of me.

Paddy Power haven't been offering 33s for ages have they. I've been sticking money on him since saturday morning and the best I could get was 20s.
image.webp

Just drifted mate

You back him Lee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back