Now and Then - Which was Better ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Holy Trinity

Player Valuation: £10m
As the dust settles on another season and we frantically search for news about our club it got me wondering about what our ambitions our for the coming season. I was having a conversation about next season with some mates and we all agreed that basically its between Man U and Chelski for the title AGAIN. Then Arsenal, Shittee, Spurs, US, Red [Poor language removed] and Villa for the places 3rd to 8th. Nothing new in that you would be right to think, but is it really only TWO teams who can realistically win the league?? How can we be saying this before a ball has even been kicked in earnest ?? Past form dictates our opinions no doubt but can anyone argue against it with any conviction ?? This is where the piece splits in two i.e Now and Then !!

Then

When I began watching football (late 70's) and going regularly 1980/81 onwards football was so special to me. Here was a passionate and emotional sport watched by a voiciferous crowd and it was amazing. Me and my Dad used to sit in the Lower Bullens (probably to stop me getting squashed and learning to swear) and I'd make him take me there for 2pm to watch the players come out to warm up. I can still hear Zoom and Why Do You Have to be a Heartbraker , playing on the tannoy as the players would warm up. I still get goosebumps when I hear those songs !! Anyway, it was so exciting as a boy growing up being part of that. Yes we lost derbies (including the 5nil) we had some terrible teams but when it changed in 1983/4 and continued through to 1990 (yes I know our last silverware in that period was 1987, we were still boss though) it was the best time ever to watch football (obviously in my opinion).

The thing that made FOOTBALL so interesting and exciting when I began going the match was something that we all agreed on whilst having this discussion was that whether OUR teams were good or not FOOTBALL itself was great. In those days EVERY team had some real quality players. The likes of Ipswich had Muhren, Gates, Brazil, Thijssen, Mariner..... Southampton had Keegan, Channon, Armstrong,Wallace.... Forest had Ian Wallace, Birtles, Davenport, O'Neill, Bowyer, Shilton.... I could obviously go on but my point here is that even the 'Unfashionable' clubs had real quality and I would look foward to seeing those players in action at Goodison. The other thing is that even though there were favourites for the title it was certainly more open than it is now with teams like West Ham making a real run for the title with us , spurs and the [Poor language removed] in 1985 and 86. The difference was the MONEY and I know it has changed but in my opinion not for the better. Clubs just generally brought in a couple of players each summer and didn't hound players through the press continually (ala Man Shittee). Even when the [Poor language removed] were good they generally only brought in a couple each season and not always big name players..

Now

Back to the now ... For us I think we could have a really good run at the Top4 but a lot depends on if Pienaar stays or if not who we replace him with and whether or not we have any significant injuries !! When our players are fit we have a really strong squad with some real classy players in it. A good mix of bread and butter and some flair mixes well. 3 defeats in 26 Premier League matches tells us everything we need to know. Now everyone else may strengthen but that doesn't really matter becuase what we need to do this season is beat the teams we should be beating or would expext to beat and if we match this season's form we'll be the ones to watch. That's the Everton bit done.

Now the NOW in terms of Football..... As I stated at the start , for me only TWO teams can win the premier league next season and for me that's a poor state of affairs. Football has been destroyed by Greed, Agents, The Bosman Ruling and SKY TV. I personally, would not want to be run like Man Shittee but would welcome some sensible investement. I want teams to be able to have 4 or 5 classy players without the fear of the SKY4 courting them and the media almost demanding that these players be allowed to leave to further their careers. Yes I know transfers will go on but it should be between the players and the clubs. Every club in my opinion should have to finance themselves so if they only make 10 million then 10 million is all they can spend etc.. We need a wage cap in this country and even a transfer cap if it could be worked out sensibly. Bosman should be scrapped in way of the old tribunal system so clubs don't get shafted into agreeing new contracts with players who have two years left to run !!! Maybe some standing (Safely) should be re-introduced to drive the costs down for fans who are getting priced out !!

I'm going to stop now cause I'm running into all other areas which wasn't my intention... Anyway for me I definately think that Football was better THEN than it is now...

What do you think ??

Shame I cant rep you for this... Excellent post, once again.

I cant really answer the question because I never watched football during the "then" era. But I do know that creating a salary cap will make the league A LOT more competitive. In American sports, with a cap, any team has a chance to win the championship, regardless of how bad they were the previous year.

As the dust settles on another season and we frantically search for news about our club it got me wondering about what our ambitions our for the coming season. I was having a conversation about next season with some mates and we all agreed that basically its between Man U and Chelski for the title AGAIN. Then Arsenal, Shittee, Spurs, US, Red [Poor language removed] and Villa for the places 3rd to 8th. Nothing new in that you would be right to think, but is it really only TWO teams who can realistically win the league?? How can we be saying this before a ball has even been kicked in earnest ?? Past form dictates our opinions no doubt but can anyone argue against it with any conviction ?? This is where the piece splits in two i.e Now and Then !!

Then

When I began watching football (late 70's) and going regularly 1980/81 onwards football was so special to me. Here was a passionate and emotional sport watched by a voiciferous crowd and it was amazing. Me and my Dad used to sit in the Lower Bullens (probably to stop me getting squashed and learning to swear) and I'd make him take me there for 2pm to watch the players come out to warm up. I can still hear Zoom and Why Do You Have to be a Heartbraker , playing on the tannoy as the players would warm up. I still get goosebumps when I hear those songs !! Anyway, it was so exciting as a boy growing up being part of that. Yes we lost derbies (including the 5nil) we had some terrible teams but when it changed in 1983/4 and continued through to 1990 (yes I know our last silverware in that period was 1987, we were still boss though) it was the best time ever to watch football (obviously in my opinion).

The thing that made FOOTBALL so interesting and exciting when I began going the match was something that we all agreed on whilst having this discussion was that whether OUR teams were good or not FOOTBALL itself was great. In those days EVERY team had some real quality players. The likes of Ipswich had Muhren, Gates, Brazil, Thijssen, Mariner..... Southampton had Keegan, Channon, Armstrong,Wallace.... Forest had Ian Wallace, Birtles, Davenport, O'Neill, Bowyer, Shilton.... I could obviously go on but my point here is that even the 'Unfashionable' clubs had real quality and I would look foward to seeing those players in action at Goodison. The other thing is that even though there were favourites for the title it was certainly more open than it is now with teams like West Ham making a real run for the title with us , spurs and the [Poor language removed] in 1985 and 86. The difference was the MONEY and I know it has changed but in my opinion not for the better. Clubs just generally brought in a couple of players each summer and didn't hound players through the press continually (ala Man Shittee). Even when the [Poor language removed] were good they generally only brought in a couple each season and not always big name players..

Now

Back to the now ... For us I think we could have a really good run at the Top4 but a lot depends on if Pienaar stays or if not who we replace him with and whether or not we have any significant injuries !! When our players are fit we have a really strong squad with some real classy players in it. A good mix of bread and butter and some flair mixes well. 3 defeats in 26 Premier League matches tells us everything we need to know. Now everyone else may strengthen but that doesn't really matter becuase what we need to do this season is beat the teams we should be beating or would expext to beat and if we match this season's form we'll be the ones to watch. That's the Everton bit done.

Now the NOW in terms of Football..... As I stated at the start , for me only TWO teams can win the premier league next season and for me that's a poor state of affairs. Football has been destroyed by Greed, Agents, The Bosman Ruling and SKY TV. I personally, would not want to be run like Man Shittee but would welcome some sensible investement. I want teams to be able to have 4 or 5 classy players without the fear of the SKY4 courting them and the media almost demanding that these players be allowed to leave to further their careers. Yes I know transfers will go on but it should be between the players and the clubs. Every club in my opinion should have to finance themselves so if they only make 10 million then 10 million is all they can spend etc.. We need a wage cap in this country and even a transfer cap if it could be worked out sensibly. Bosman should be scrapped in way of the old tribunal system so clubs don't get shafted into agreeing new contracts with players who have two years left to run !!! Maybe some standing (Safely) should be re-introduced to drive the costs down for fans who are getting priced out !!

I'm going to stop now cause I'm running into all other areas which wasn't my intention... Anyway for me I definately think that Football was better THEN than it is now...

What do you think ??
I can be an argumentative [Poor language removed] but I can't argue with any of that
It was defo more interesting to see a competitive league. I've mentioned several times that my first game was Forest at home in August 77. They were newly promoted and went on to win the league as you know. The thing is they didn't join the first division as a poor relative of the big boys. They could compete financially with the likes of ourselves, the rs, Utd etc. They forked out big money on Peter Shilton and a year or so later, signed Trevor Francis for a million
That would be impossible to envisage in football today

Then

Now

What do you think ??

All very true.

Running the club on debt just seems wrong to me... in every way imaginable

Its why I'm a very proud Evertonian. We've got where we are through skill and determination.

And overcoming many huddles along the way.

I am convinced Everton's best days lie ahead that mirror our history too.

No lack of ambition here under the Moyes regime at all in my view.

Oh so then.....The fury and the Passion in the GSE...the random scrap kicking-off as 2 pissheads went head-to-head, The total randomness of the game...you never knew what was going to happen!

Oh and Dave Thomas tearing down the wing and drilling in an inch perfect cross onto Big bobs head...1-0 Lets go fekkin mental

Great Great Post

The fact that we took it away from 'them' has to be factored in as well, they won the thing year in year out, we had to put up with that so to take it away from them was what made it even more special imo, and for all the times they won it i reckon their 86 team was the best they had, and we managed to take it back off them as well.
What will make it so spesh when it happens again, is if those blerts still haven't won it.

Shame I cant rep you for this... Excellent post, once again.

I cant really answer the question because I never watched football during the "then" era. But I do know that creating a salary cap will make the league A LOT more competitive. In American sports, with a cap, any team has a chance to win the championship, regardless of how bad they were the previous year.

Thanks Neph... I think that a salary cap could be the way to fix the disparity in the league. I've heard people say that 'the best players would leave for other leagues' my response would be ' go then and we'll get on with it' !! The bolded bit is what should happen in the premier league !

I can be an argumentative [Poor language removed] but I can't argue with any of that
It was defo more interesting to see a competitive league. I've mentioned several times that my first game was Forest at home in August 77. They were newly promoted and went on to win the league as you know. The thing is they didn't join the first division as a poor relative of the big boys. They could compete financially with the likes of ourselves, the rs, Utd etc. They forked out big money on Peter Shilton and a year or so later, signed Trevor Francis for a million
That would be impossible to envisage in football today

True James and remember Watford winning promotion in 1981/2 and being runners up in 1982/83 season ! Just Imagine that today ???

All very true.

Running the club on debt just seems wrong to me... in every way imaginable

Its why I'm a very proud Evertonian. We've got where we are through skill and determination.

And overcoming many huddles along the way.

I am convinced Everton's best days lie ahead that mirror our history too.

No lack of ambition here under the Moyes regime at all in my view.

Agreed Matt, although I think that is what frustrates me because without all this Chelski, Shittee bullshine money we'd be right in there with a chance of winning stuff. We are practically there anyway but we do it like EVERY club should do it with care and development of players.

Oh so then.....The fury and the Passion in the GSE...the random scrap kicking-off as 2 pissheads went head-to-head, The total randomness of the game...you never knew what was going to happen!

Oh and Dave Thomas tearing down the wing and drilling in an inch perfect cross onto Big bobs head...1-0 Lets go fekkin mental

Great Great Post

Cheers Mutz, yeah this is what i'm talking about. Also cup finals mate the anticipation and the fairness of a final i.e meaning that it really was a toss of a coin who won the thing. Oh I'm going on again !! Sorry....

The fact that we took it away from 'them' has to be factored in as well, they won the thing year in year out, we had to put up with that so to take it away from them was what made it even more special imo, and for all the times they won it i reckon their 86 team was the best they had, and we managed to take it back off them as well.
What will make it so spesh when it happens again, is if those blerts still haven't won it.

Agreed Reidy. I actually think 1985/86 was Our Best team and 1986/87 was their best team but the facts show they won it 86 and we won it 87 ! Great times though mate..

Status
Not open for further replies.