Oh for another 'Inchy' moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jokerdan

Player Valuation: £10m
An under the fire manager, an under performing team. Another season of misguided aspirations. Another season of crash and burn.
And then 'that' goal. It seemed to unlock our belief and we never looked back, so much so that within eighteen months we were lauded as the best team in Europe.
Will we ever get another 'Inchy' moment or was it, as I fear, a once in a lifetime occurrence.
Must be honest, I'm getting too old and too tired with all the reminiscing and really feel for the younger generation who have still to experience those kind of highs.

An under the fire manager, an under performing team. Another season of misguided aspirations. Another season of crash and burn.
And then 'that' goal. It seemed to unlock our belief and we never looked back, so much so that within eighteen months we were lauded as the best team in Europe.
Will we ever get another 'Inchy' moment or was it, as I fear, a once in a lifetime occurrence.
Must be honest, I'm getting too old and too tired with all the reminiscing and really feel for the younger generation who have still to experience those kind of highs.
I just count my blessings I was around to experience it all back then mate, heady days, will they return?well I've been hoping since 1995 :)

I just count my blessings I was around to experience it all back then mate, heady days, will they return?well I've been hoping since 1995 :)
We can only hope. That’s why we go. Each week brings hope. Alas also despair.
I have mentioned on here before. The only benefit of old age is the memories I can still recall vividly and thankfully can’t recall what happened last week!

That kevin brock back pass was a crucial point in our season without a doubt. However, go back to November and the league cup game vs Coventry, in front of less than 10,000 fans. We go 1 down, and then Howard brings on Peter Reid as sub. Cue Adrian Heath equalising, and Sharp scoring the winner in the last 5 minutes. That was the turning point for me. Inchy had 3 goals from his haul that season which will go down as etched in the memory of all of us who were lucky to see them...the 2 mentioned, and the SF goal vs Southampton....Magic !!

We can help generate this with less than 10,000 turning up for the Watford cup tie.

Trailing 1-0 and playing badly Sharp and Reid turned it around in the last 10 minutes against struggling Coventry... on a night where Kendall Out leaflets were handed out. (I still have one somewhere). I stood on a near empty Gwladys Street.

Stuff of legend.

Cant help but feel that the modern footballer doesn't have the mental tenacity to benefit from an inchy moment. We'd go ahead, worry about passing forward, worry about conceding, immediately concede and then capitulate.

If only we could find some footballers from the '70s and '80s who were still in their 20s.

*plots time machine

We can help generate this with less than 10,000 turning up for the Watford cup tie.

Trailing 1-0 and playing badly Sharp and Reid turned it around in the last 10 minutes against struggling Coventry... on a night where Kendall Out leaflets were handed out. (I still have one somewhere). I stood on a near empty Gwladys Street.
I was playing oxo on the program with my little lad because we were so bored,memories

That kevin brock back pass was a crucial point in our season without a doubt. However, go back to November and the league cup game vs Coventry, in front of less than 10,000 fans. We go 1 down, and then Howard brings on Peter Reid as sub. Cue Adrian Heath equalising, and Sharp scoring the winner in the last 5 minutes. That was the turning point for me. Inchy had 3 goals from his haul that season which will go down as etched in the memory of all of us who were lucky to see them...the 2 mentioned, and the SF goal vs Southampton....Magic !!
I was there that night the mood was toxic and as you say it could easily have been the night it all changed.
There was hundreds of leaflets given out outside calling for Howard's head and to be honest I agreed with them at the time.
He may well have been sacked that night despite what Carter has said since.

I was there as well mate on Gwladys Street it is amazing how many people use to tell you they were as well .

That Inchy moment was massive of course (and so was the fans’ support at Stoke away in the 3rd of the FA Cup) but I always give a lot of credit to a last minute save by Big Nev in a one on one with Tony Cascarino (massive RS by the way!) in the first replay against Gillingham. We went through after a second replay beating them 3-0 away eventually. We went on to win that cup whereas we lost the League Cup. And it was not on the TV so hardly anyone saw it at all.
But the most people at the time saw the importance of the Oxford escape. We were dire that night!!! I think from then on HK dropped David Johnson and settled on combinations of Sharp, Heath and Gray according to the match. IIRC Gray was Cup-tied for the league cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.