Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

DIXIE DEAN PHOTO.webp

Uncle Joe - probably only a few years after that picture was taken, my father introduced him to me.
It was outside Ellesmere Port Town's ground, Joe and my father had played together in the youth teams.
I always liked Joe Mercer as a manager , and you could see the twinkle in his eyes when asked about Everton, reports are he never wanted to leave! hope you enjoyed that picture, by the way the LFC Manager got them relegated;)

Notice Jimmy Gabriel chasing Young in a Southampton shirt- perhaps sold to them too early?
My arl fella and Gabriel's arl fella worked together in the 60s. Apparently Gabriel fell out with Catterick for disobeying orders. Around 1967/8 basically Catterick told him that all he wanted him to do with the ball from now on was to win it then pass it on simply to his outside right. Gabriel was a ball winner but he was also an energetic player who could pass a ball, so naturally he contiuned to play the game somewhat more expansively than asked. Catterick hauled him in after a few such games and told him he'd be selling him. Man City wanted him but Catterick, aware of his massive popularity with the supporters, wanted him much further away from GP (bear in mind that in those days there was little football on Tv and that newspaper coverage was much more regionalised than it is now). So he sold him to the furthest club from Everton -- Southampton.

PS - probably not the right thread for this, but to go off on a tangent about modern day newspaper football coverage, anyone who bought the Daily Mail on Monday would have noticed the Evert0n-Burnley report -- or maybe not. Since it was only 160 words long - basically the maximum length of a tweet! Meanwhile even games like Palace - WBA got the usual half page treatment.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back