Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

Rupert's Tower at night -

@Alan Whittle -friendly game? not in my history bible anyone shed light on this game?
View attachment 63988
The 58/59 season was the first of Division 4. Palace, having finished in the bottom half of Div. 3 (S) the previous season, duly took their place. In December 1958, completion of a significant upgrade and overhaul of the floodlights heralded a series of prestigious friendlies. Whilst I can't find any specific evidence of this game there are records that an Austrian team were due first but backed out at the last minute and I found photographs of a floodlit friendly against Clyde((!) at around the same time.
Apropos nothing at all, when our floodlights were finally replaced Board Minutes apparently show that an "unnamed Northern club" wanted an exorbitant amount to come and play for the official switching on. The Director who claimed "We could get Real Madrid for that!" was promptly despatched to get them. To everyone's astonishment he did, A great night ensued as Madrid brought their first team and beat Palace ( now up in Div.3) 4-3.

I had a fiver on 3-2 for us, honestly @ 80/1. Never a great lover of Latchford, but he was leading goalscorer for the league that day and pulled out an
hour before kick-off, Pearson replaced him and had a fair game for him. I was proud of us that day, another Derby match we deserved to win. The RS
have the cheek to call us "Bitter".
Like you Bob wasn’t one of my favourites, cracking fella off the pitch, and never found the net against Liverpool, but you are bang on, we should have won that game, well we had it won only for that Welsh ( put your own words in)!!!

6d ffs London prices even back then, ours was only 4d
Capital cities are always more expensive my daughter lives in Edinburgh it's the same there - unless you know the area - tourist places are well expensive- I suppose sport in the capitals is still now more expensive to get in programmes etc etc ....

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back