Old Everton Pictures

......Ramsey wasn't in the business of handing out caps. Harvey and Temple were recognised but only just. Probably worth mentioning that the league was made up (almost entirely) of British players, so lots of English to select from.
there was a major change in football all over the world between 66 and 70. in 1966 a team had very well defined player positions. by 1970 the game was moving towards more fluidity across team selection. almost everyone could be a midfield player! consequently, football was played more in the central areas of the pitch. less width, the game was tighter and in england teams like leeds utd, who had plenty of blokes who could cope well in a scenario such as this, flourished. just a theory

That World Cup was thought by many to have resulted in our poor defence of the title in 1970/71,Ball,Labone,Wright,Newton were "jaded" by their efforts in the heat of Mexico,when you consider Harvey,Kendall,Royle,West could potentially have joined them maybe its just as well those guys didn't make the squad,we could have gone from Champions to getting relegated:Blink:
I don't agree that those players were "jaded" - I have no idea why we performed so poorly the season after we won it but whoever did win it probably had a few who played in mexico

The older the better ; wonder if we played against the Old Carthusians who are a bit of obsession of mine at the moment. The early years of football are fascinating and look more interesting than at the present time of overblown players and football clubs who serve everybody but their supporters.
is there a book that you can recommend about those early days of football?

is there a book that you can recommend about those early days of football?
I studied the history of British sport many moons ago at university. If I can be bothered (which is, I admit, highly unlikely) I'll try and find my reading list. :)
There's some stuff on the early days of Everton here :

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back