Old Everton Pictures

How times change;
Then; won 5-1 and got the original taxi
Now; lost 0-2 and still here
The more I read about John Carey off our greats like the GV , and Roy Vernon - they loved his style of management, at Blackburn his team were named the Carey Chicks as he always favoured youth players like Vernon, Douglas and Pickering etc it was a rip off of the Busby Babes that United were given - He was just too nice a gentleman - the infamous 10 - 4 defeat at Spurs maybe sealed his fate as I have stated the new chairman John Moores was pretty ruthless, and run his new EFC like his pools company .... organised no hangers on etc etc - he realised he needed a disciplinarian at the helm = enter The Catt - Carey was well compensated in those days financially, as it was no guarantee like it is now......
Even Joe Royle commented on the catt Firm but fair , but it reminded him of signing in each am like his grammar school :D

Never forget the contribution of Chopper's full-back partner-in-crime, Eddie McCreadie, the man responsible for the finest kung fu kick ever seen on live British TV

1970 Cup final replay at Old Trafford.?
I was there...saw dirty leeds get their retaliation in first, closely followed it must be said by Chelsea.
Justice was done.
Cracking team that Chelsea...if I wasn't busy watching Us, I'd pay to watch them...Osgood, Hutchinson, Charlie Cooke, etc. Proper players.

Spoke to the arl fella on the sunday after the final about how the game went...said it would've been a good one to see.
Why didnt you say so, I could've got you one easy from the tiger (royal tiger club in town)
Yeah yeah, they all say that after the fact. - get me one for the replay then.
Came in from work on Tuesday and there it was on the mantlepiece.
Edit; iirc, it was over stamped Burnley FC

Last edited:

The elegant midfield maestro Martin Dobson - I remember being in the park end and an away fan shouiting Dobin the carthorse when he was taking a free kick close by for us - he went on in that game to dominate and we hammered who we were playing .... :D

Thanks Joey , takes me back
I was at the Norwich home game 2-4 loss .
And off the top of my head if I recall Reeves Norwich took us too pieces , the start of a long season apart from the FA Cup run !
:(
I think that game My late fathers Brother fetched his two sons up from London for the first time - they had seen Everton playing in the London area and came from London for that game to experience a goodison home win....... Doh

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back