Old Everton Pictures

The best away game ever for me as a lad our win at the pit -I stood on the Kop dressed in blue -
View attachment 96042
I in fact was not there, me, one of the bridesmaids...looking very chic in royal blue of course...who at fhe time, was a regular match goer with me, plus a load of other blues, including the groom and best man, had bunked out of the wedding reception at Clarks Gardens as it was then and were hiding round the back behind the kitchens listening on the obligatory little radio with our beer and cigars.
From there we went back to Throstles Nest until the early hours

Reckon those early manager's knocking him back had it right. Didn't he have a mare in the 3rd League Cup final game disaster?
When Huddersfield came up from the old 2nd Div. They had a very good workmanlike orginised defensive pattern of play, plus some under rated players, like Frank Worthington, Trevor Cherry to name but two...off topic, these are the sort that Brands should be spotting....
Playing behind that team Lawson looked good...just like Lawence looked good behind the liverpool team...
They didn't last long, 1 or 2 seasons, but iirc, the gave us hard tight games.

I think this was another of Harrys 'buy him because he had a good game against us' mistakes

I in fact was not there, me, one of the bridesmaids...looking very chic in royal blue of course...who at fhe time, was a regular match goer with me, plus a load of other blues, including the groom and best man, had bunked out of the wedding reception at Clarks Gardens as it was then and were hiding round the back behind the kitchens listening on the obligatory little radio with our beer and cigars.
Im trying to place Clarks gardens. Was it off Scotland road? I lived in Woodstock gardens till I was ten which was on the opposite side from the Throstles Nest?

Tickets were like gold dust my older brother, and I went looking for tickets anywhere but the Kop ........my older brother spent an hour going around the ticket touts ......2.50 pm right got tickets so I walked towards the anfield road end -sorry we are in the Kop .....got crushed a bit , but with a few thousand blues enjoyed the game immensely- we played them off the park plus alls you could hear in the 2nd half was "Champions Champions" being chanted from the anfield road end .......an unforgettable game ......to win 2-0 in such style I knew we would lift the title as that lot til then had an outside chance of winning it .....

Im trying to place Clarks gardens. Was it off Scotland road? I lived in Woodstock gardens till I was ten which was on the opposite side from the Throstles Nest?
Clarks Gardens is now part of the crematorium in Allerton opp the Cemetery
As there was a lot of grass all the way up to Camp Hill to us Garston lads that was considered the start of what we thought of as 'the country' almost woolly-back land

Won 4-1 - those were the days .......oh for a midfielder like Reidy now......
1596282114381.webp

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back