Old Everton Pictures

1596314335186.webp

as a youngster back then I put the blame on Catterick. But I don't know what really happened.
The team of 1969/70 was breaking up. The new incoming players were not very good. Alan Ball was on his way out. Catterick s health was failing. We didn't push on in europe. Lost a cup semi final. Dropped down the league.
Awful football.
Awful time for everton...Awful time to be a young supporter.
Just my opinion.......But it's all down to the manager.
Catterick hung about too long.
And apart from Kendall ( Mark 1 ) and Royle . Our managers have bean mainly useless. We got the football those managers deserved. No real hard luck stories. We got served up the football those managers set us up to play. Nothing more.......nothing less.
So here's to the future.....here's hoping that Ancelotti really is the real deal.
Rant over..........sorry...

Last edited:
as a youngster back then I put the blame on Catterick. But I don't know what really happened.
The team of 1969/70 was breaking up. The new incoming players were not very good. Alan Ball was on his way out. Catterick s health was failing. We didn't push on in europe. Lost a cup semi final. Dropped down the league.
Awful football.
Awful time for everton...Awful time to be a young supporter.
Just my opinion.......But it's all down to the manager.
Catterick hung about too long.
And apart from Kendall ( Mark 1 ) and Royle . Our managers have bean mainly useless. We got the football those managers deserved. No real hard luck stories. We got served up the football those managers set us up to play. Nothing more.......nothing less.
So here's to the future.....here's hoping that Ancelotti really is the real deal.
Rant over..........sorry...
The reasons are many and varied.
You could make a list of say 10 and most will pick the same two or three.
If asked to pick another 5 from 7 - they would all be different, but still valid.

But when you are the very, very, best And complimented each others strengths and weaknesses any replacements will, CAN'T, be good as good...Henry Newton??
Replacements were down to Harry (?)
Injuries and bad luck - who knows the causes for that...the 6 'P's?
Proper, Preparation, Prevents, Piss, Poor, Performance?

Or is it the that rs good luck must be balanced out somewhere by bad luck...come on dowwwwn - EFC.

Yep that's it.

The reasons are many and varied.
You could make a list of say 10 and most will pick the same two or three.
If asked to pick another 5 from 7 - they would all be different, but still valid.

But when you are the very, very, best And complimented each others strengths and weaknesses any replacements will, CAN'T, be good as good...Henry Newton??
Replacements were down to Harry (?)
Injuries and bad luck - who knows the causes for that...the 6 'P's?
Proper, Preparation, Prevents, Piss, Poor, Performance?

Or is it the that rs good luck must be balanced out somewhere by bad luck...come on dowwwwn - EFC.

Yep that's it.
Just turned on. And up popped your comment.
I agree that injuries and bad luck played its part. But who knows why that 1969/70 fell from grace so quickly
Thing about luck is that the RSs luck seems to last for years. Ours (when we get any) only lasts maybe just one season.
Naw.......it's not just down to luck.
Still think that bad management has played a big part in our failure to.win trophies. If Catterick was not responsible for bringing in replacements then the people who were , were still part of the club management. So that's still bad management. Stand in.......caretaker......or whatever.....still poor management.
The club should have acted quicker to replace Catterick.....

Lee fell short when trying to win the League. And if he had been brave I believe he would have won us the League cup.
Moyes dithered and lost us semi finals and a final.
And yes we ended up missing out on possibly winning a European cup. That was bad luck.....But that team then failed to win more leagues and cups.
Sorry I'm rambling on.........I agree with your post. But I just think that our choice of manager for many years has not been great. Our poor choice of managers out weighs bad luck and injuries. Every manager had to contend with those factors....

And I won't even start on our board over the years.........But you are spot on. Far to many reasons to factor in when considering our downfall in the early 1970s.
I tend to linger on missed opportunities.........the joys of being an Evertonian.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back