Old Everton Pictures

I used to live in Maghull and on a Sunday morning Mick Lyons and Andy King would be out on the grassed area (in the middle of The Round Meade) kicking a ball about........every kid in the Green Park estate would come over, we'd pick sides and have a full on game (Mick on one side, Andy on the other). Great lads and a great example for younger kids.............can't imagine our modern day heroes in Alderley Edge doing this?
A great post that mate.

I used to live in Maghull and on a Sunday morning Mick Lyons and Andy King would be out on the grassed area (in the middle of The Round Meade) kicking a ball about........every kid in the Green Park estate would come over, we'd pick sides and have a full on game (Mick on one side, Andy on the other). Great lads and a great example for younger kids.............can't imagine our modern day heroes in Alderley Edge doing this?
July 1984,my footy team was having a training session on AstroTurf by the marine lake Southport,it was a boiling hot evening so only nine of us had bothered to show up,anyhow we were having a five a side game,or five on four!!a lad who had been out jogging had stopped to watch us,so one of us shouts,"eh mate,fancy making up the numbers?"this fella is down like a shot and joins in,couple of minutes in me being a cocky young so and so nutmegs this fella,but soon after we were in awe of his one touch stuff on the pitch,he was different gravy!!I and a couple of other lads then recognised him,Andy King!!he was out of contract with Everton and just keeping fit whilst looking for a club,great lad,came for a pint with us afterwards when I apologised for megging one of my biggest heroes,"no problem mate,you done me like a kipper"said Kingy,I never achieved much as a player but I did nutmeg Kingy!!,although I told him I wish it had been a kopite and not him I'd done that to lol He laughed his head off at that!!RIP Kingy and thanks for the memories!!

July 1984,my footy team was having a training session on AstroTurf by the marine lake Southport,it was a boiling hot evening so only nine of us had bothered to show up,anyhow we were having a five a side game,or five on four!!a lad who had been out jogging had stopped to watch us,so one of us shouts,"eh mate,fancy making up the numbers?"this fella is down like a shot and joins in,couple of minutes in me being a cocky young so and so nutmegs this fella,but soon after we were in awe of his one touch stuff on the pitch,he was different gravy!!I and a couple of other lads then recognised him,Andy King!!he was out of contract with Everton and just keeping fit whilst looking for a club,great lad,came for a pint with us afterwards when I apologised for megging one of my biggest heroes,"no problem mate,you done me like a kipper"said Kingy,I never achieved much as a player but I did nutmeg Kingy!!,although I told him I wish it had been a kopite and not him I'd done that to lol He laughed his head off at that!!RIP Kingy and thanks for the memories!!
Lovely story Dario.

1615934392580.webp

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back