Old Everton Pictures

Bally -

1627902337849.webp

What a game to be at. Possibly the best team effort that I've witnessed at the Old Lady. Alex Young was unplayable that day.
The whole game is out there on Vimeo...maybe in 4 or 5 sections
But Vs the Champions and soon to be European Cup winners, Alex Young was nearly unplayable, The Holy Trinity was a quartet that day.
iirc, at one stage, not only was he covering at RB, he was covering at LB too.
My other memory...a fickle thing nowadays...is the ease which Harvey would dispossess absolute legends like it was a training game.or exhibition match.
And if Best had scored the goal Young did - we'd Still be hearing about it

The whole game is out there on Vimeo...maybe in 4 or 5 sections
But Vs the Champions and soon to be European Cup winners, Alex Young was nearly unplayable, The Holy Trinity was a quartet that day.
iirc, at one stage, not only was he covering at RB, he was covering at LB too.
My other memory...a fickle thing nowadays...is the ease which Harvey would dispossess absolute legends like it was a training game.or exhibition match.
And if Best had scored the goal Young did - we'd Still be hearing about it

...you go back and look at that goal and see little things each time. There’s real violence in that tackle from Stiles but Young skips through it (it’s like Best slaloming the Chopper Harris tackle).

I always have a memory of Ray Wilson stopping the football, taking a step back, looking up and delivering a pass as if it was a free kick. So chuffed he does it in that clip. The game played at such pace, yet he has the quality of time on the ball that only the very special players have.

“The Golden Vision” Alex Young we won 3-1 The GV scored a brace in the win - pictured in action against Blackburn Rovers during the League Division One game at Ewood Park 31st March 1961 -

View attachment 134953

If, as I suspect, the ball is in the net, then that is his second goal of the game. I have a photo from another angle. Are you able to confirm your photo is a goal . His other goal came in the first half so, unless they have similar stands on both sides, your photo is from the second half
709 31.03.61 Young v Blackburn (A) Alex Young scores his second, Everton's third away to Blac...webp
709 31.03.61 Young v Blackburn (A) Alex Young scores his second, Everton's third away to Blac...webp

I was quick to post the photo above. Your photo could even be of Everton's second, scored by Bingham, which Young created, which is why he is in the photo. Do you happen to know the scorer.?

185 03.04.61 B'Burn (H) Bingham's goal.webp

I was quick to post the photo above. Your photo could even be of Everton's second, scored by Bingham, which Young created, which is why he is in the photo. Do you happen to know the scorer.?

View attachment 134978

…all guesswork of course, but I’d be surprised if that isn’t one of Alex Youngs goals. The report suggests he slid the ball forward to Bingham but in that still it’s difficult to see that any Everton player would be in an advanced position of Young given his proximity to the keeper.

I did go to a game at Ewood in the early 60s but i think it ended 1-1.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back