Old Everton Pictures

h_00244040.jpg

...I was a 9 year old in Gwladys St for that famous Charity Shield game. I was right behind Roger Hunt's 20 yard pile driver as the Pool won 1-0. Great to have seen the Jules Rimet Trophy which I think was won outright by Brazil.

I seen them both - Colin Harvey's words were the 1980's team brilliant midfield = 4 players the 1969/70 was three players - Alan ball was totally world class as were Kendal and Harvey, total telepathic football = 3 players
different eras but as a footballing side it has to be the Holy Trinity yet they won less - I seen them as a youngster so may be baiesd but for me it was the best brand of football you could ever see breathtaking at times not workman like just blistering football!

Cool. I'm jealous you got to see the Holy Trinity as a youngster. That was me in the 80's (well not that young but still). The Reid/Bracewell partnership was telepathic at times too. Add Steven and Sheedy either side of them, and to me you had the absolute perfect midfield of all time.

Sheedy, & Steven - brilliant wingers, superb at cutting inside, could both score goals from anywhere - Steven took the penalties, Sheedy took the free kicks and they both delivered brilliant corners. They caould also track back and defend.

Reid - tough tackling midfielder, superb on the ball and a supreme leader on the field.

Bracewell - graceful, a fantastic passer of the ball, a tough tackler also. Great going forward and just as good defending.

Sigh* reminiscing here of watching the perfect 4-4-2 team

Cool. I'm jealous you got to see the Holy Trinity as a youngster. That was me in the 80's (well not that young but still). The Reid/Bracewell partnership was telepathic at times too. Add Steven and Sheedy either side of them, and to me you had the absolute perfect midfield of all time.

Sheedy, & Steven - brilliant wingers, superb at cutting inside, could both score goals from anywhere - Steven took the penalties, Sheedy took the free kicks and they both delivered brilliant corners. They caould also track back and defend.

Reid - tough tackling midfielder, superb on the ball and a supreme leader on the field.

Bracewell - graceful, a fantastic passer of the ball, a tough tackler also. Great going forward and just as good defending.

Sigh* reminiscing here of watching the perfect 4-4-2 team
don't get me wrong that 1980's midfield was pure class - its if you had seen the Holy tinity and alan ball you would know instantly what I mean - the opposition around in those days too was tougher imo - they were a quicker thing unit imo and you just had to see the bet ever box to box midfielder ever imo Alan Ball - Peter Reid was world class at times - Mr perpetual motion Alan Ball was more consistent, and one of the greatest footballers I have ever seen imo!

That was a truly terrible journey home up M6 in jam behind celebrating citysupporters coach
Dont go there My older brother and I as a young teenager got there 15 minutes late on the coach, and just walked in the holt end as the blues fans and kicked the exit doors in = crushed to death almost!
He had tickets no need to use them an appalling game too!

.....that supporters club was very much the place for my folks when I was growing up. My mum was on the 'committee'. I can remember Gertie Dunlop (George Dunlop's mum) was there and had a season ticket in Upper Gwladys St stand. Also, remember Joe Royle's dad being in the band on stage (I think he might have been the drummer). I've got a picture of that place the night we beat the Pool 4-0 at Anfield in 1964 but I'm not sure how to upload via this I-pad.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back