Old Everton Pictures

My dad is Gills fan and still goes on about it! Calls us Lucky Everton!

Gillingham is just up the road from me, didn't manage to get to either of the two FA Cup games there as I was away at college at the time. Try to go to a couple of home games a season at Priestfield, as much to maintain some perspective by watching some honest football without the ridiculous hype.

Gillingham is just up the road from me, didn't manage to get to either of the two FA Cup games there as I was away at college at the time. Try to go to a couple of home games a season at Priestfield, as much to maintain some perspective by watching some honest football without the ridiculous hype.

I used to live on Windsor Road as a small lad, when I am down with cousins in Rainham I still go jogging to The Strand and back!
I have been as an adult twice to Gills, but with mates who were supporting Bury!
As a student, I was there the day in the 80's when Sharpy scored 'that goal'! I went in the home end for half price then told a copper I was in the wrong end!
(If memory serves me right)

And Tony Cascarino hit the post in the 0-0 at Goodison.
Really? I don't remember that. I remember battering them at Goodison and then him missing a one on one in the dying seconds in the first replay down there. We were comfortable in the second replay, won 3-0 iirc. That would have killed him the big kopite that he is haha.

Interesting! 4th round home vs Gillingham 28 January 1984 22380 crowd. Steve Bruce playing for Gillingham!!
If the Everton number 10"is Andy Gray I think it might well be the Gillingham game.,like you say. drew 0-0, took two replays to go through!!
Went to the first replay on the special took about 8 hours and still missed the kick off God knows what time I got home (work ? It was the 80's)think they made a mistake with the replay should've been neutral but on the way home we knew it was back there and after that trip gave up on the second replay.

Went to the first replay on the special took about 8 hours and still missed the kick off God knows what time I got home (work ? It was the 80's)think they made a mistake with the replay should've been neutral but on the way home we knew it was back there and after that trip gave up on the second replay.
I think they had tossed for the venue even before the first replay. I was living in Watford at the time so got to both the replays. Gale force wind in one of them. The second I think.

CevxhxOWwAAuHcF.jpg

My dad is Gills fan and still goes on about it! Calls us Lucky Everton!
Haha. We battered them at Goodison!!!! Would have been daylight robbery!!
Actually in reality I always considered his one on one miss at the end of the first replay as more of a kevin Brock moment than the kevin Brock moment. We got beat in the league cup final but went on to win the FA cup. No miss by Cascarino = no cup!!!! But it was not on telly so it never reached a wider audience unlike the Oxford game.

See my edit to my earlier post mate! He is spot on!!!
In reality of course both runs were intertwined and 2/3 key moments defined the momentum which led us out of the wilderness. The league cup run bred tremendous confidence especially mixing it so well vs the RS at Wembley and the very unlucky replay defeat. That improved confidence was then turned into a trophy...The FA cup versus Watford. Quickly followed by key signing of Bracewell that summer and Charity shield win vs Rs at Wembley........Bracewell's impact as a signing was mega and the self belief grew. No one else noticed us though until the October when we won at Anfield, Sharp goal and beat MU 5-0 at Goodison in successive weeks. Happy days.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back