Old Everton Pictures

Trevor Ross. He had a hard shot in him.

CmXX6AGXEAQP-pI.jpg

Trevor Ross. He had a hard shot in him.

CmXX6AGXEAQP-pI.jpg

Bad day that,4-2 defeat home to Norwich,first game 79-80 season,Latch/Dobbo/Thomas all had contract disputes and were leaving,don't recall any of them playing that day,oh and the old Park End looked weird,first game it had been bricked in at the back of the standing terrace,oh my the weird EFC things that are triggered by a single picture in my almost senile mindlol

Bad day that,4-2 defeat home to Norwich,first game 79-80 season,Latch/Dobbo/Thomas all had contract disputes and were leaving,don't recall any of them playing that day,oh and the old Park End looked weird,first game it had been bricked in at the back of the standing terrace,oh my the weird EFC things that are triggered by a single picture in my almost senile mindlol
Better than mine. lol

There was no other ground in the first division that did what was done at Goodison during the 60,s.
I visited every first division away game we had except Crystal Palace and Q.P.R. through the years 1963/64 till obviously 1969/70

My first thoughts was possibly Leeds is that Norman Hunter middle of the pic.
Alex Scott out here on the right...total conjecture ...
From their stance, I would say you are correct. It certainly has the slightly haunched posture Scottie had, and moving across the front line the other players from left to right appear to be Alex Young, Fred Pickering, unknown, and far left Derek Temple, whilst entering the half from left to right appear to be Colin Harvey and Ramon Wilson.
The white shirted players appear to be Leeds as I think again you are correct in highlighting Norman Hunter, and two of the others appear to be Billy Bremner nearest the ball and Gary Sprake in goal.
Also the rain theory holds up as none of the stands had an extended roof for a number of years after this shot was taken, which I would approximate as 1964 ish.

Could well be the 4th round F.A.Cup replay v Leeds on 28th Jan 1964.
Everton won 2-0 goals from Jimmy Gabriel (9) and Roy Vernon( 10)..who may well be the unknown you mention...
On the down side to what you say is Pickering,Young ,Harvey and Wilson didn,t feature in that match:(

Interesting. I'm sure someone will be able to help us out.

don't listen to a word of that wham from@
Could well be the 4th round F.A.Cup replay v Leeds on 28th Jan 1964.
Everton won 2-0 goals from Jimmy Gabriel (9) and Roy Vernon( 10)..who may well be the unknown you mention...
On the down side to what you say is Pickering,Young ,Harvey and Wilson didn,t feature in that match:(

Nah I was there for the replay, near full house with no semi-circles or rain and it was a night KO. As stated by others league game 65-66, slight chance of 66-67

Epic performance btw from The 'Angel' Gabriel, playing Centre Forward Vs Charlton and Hunter...they don't like it up em.

"Those semi circles were the result of an Everton fan who threw a dart at the Spurs keeper (Brown) and the club were ordered to move the crowds back from the area behind the goals."

Didn't stop someone winging a bottle out of the Street End onto the back of the Altincham goalie's head in 3rd round cup tie in 1974 or 1975. Don't condone it but at the time you had to admire the science and skill required to guage the distance, angle and trajectory needed to land a bottle on a given spot some twenty yards away. Just saying like...

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back