Old Everton Pictures

1658967667838.webp

Play Nevin

No European UEFA Cup plus if the away goal rule had been in place they would have gone through they had to play a replay at Highbury in a 3rd tie - where they got beat .... Not good enough to manage us ? when begged to go to the Adelphi Hotel to be entered in Everton FC hall of fame - he ate his meal & left - twice we did the dirty on TG Jones ... Everton That -

Dad got pretty friendly with him after being quite surprised to enter a little newsagents in Bangor to find him serving behind the counter. (He and his wife had owned it for many years.)

I was probably only 11 or 12 and only knew the basics of him as a player but was of course delighted to have a photograph of us both with his 38/39 Championship medal.

He then told me to grab a chocolate bar from the counter, which was nice.

Excellent player Trevor, my favourite back then along with Sheeds, but Tricky was more consistent, could play in various positions (right back for a spell, when we went 5-3-2 due in injuries in 86/87, or even left mid as an inverted winger (notably the 5-0 vs Wednesday) and he was never injured- i think he played in more games than anyone in our golden period (84-88).

It poured down Joey. Lad I was at school with was Dave Grants brother. We got there too late to get in the stands so got soaked in the Gwladys St.
That would not have been the reason - my Mother was strict in those days that bus strike did it seen every home round - little did I know some of those players I would watch later home & away to win us the title - very fitting ....

Dad got pretty friendly with him after being quite surprised to enter a little newsagents in Bangor to find him serving behind the counter. (He and his wife had owned it for many years.)

I was probably only 11 or 12 and only knew the basics of him as a player but was of course delighted to have a photograph of us both with his 38/39 Championship medal.

He then told me to grab a chocolate bar from the counter, which was nice.
Our club treated him appallingly as a player - Joe Mercer left almost packed football in over TG Jones as they asked him to play Centre half .... Sir Phillip Carter begged him to enter the hall of fame - came out to his shop in Bangor - to hear what had happened - TG reluctantly agreed but at the Adelphi hotel as soon as he got his award left without giving a speech.... they had let him down blamed him for feigning injury which was untrue banished him from the club ....
Then messed up his transfer to Roma after him taking his family over there to see his accommodation etc - Dixie Dean warned the team about Theo Kelly on leaving our club he would treat players with disrespect... it all came true ......

Our club treated him appallingly as a player - Joe Mercer left almost packed football in over TG Jones as they asked him to play Centre half .... Sir Phillip Carter begged him to enter the hall of fame - came out to his shop in Bangor - to hear what had happened - TG reluctantly agreed but at the Adelphi hotel as soon as he got his award left without giving a speech.... they had let him down blamed him for feigning injury which was untrue banished him from the club ....
Then messed up his transfer to Roma after him taking his family over there to see his accommodation etc - Dixie Dean warned the team about Theo Kelly on leaving our club he would treat players with disrespect... it all came true ......
So...... Theo Kelly was basically the Benitez of his day?

So...... Theo Kelly was basically the Benitez of his day?
Probably worse - Joe Mercer went to the Board & told them about him & wanted to resign as a player over the way TG was treated asking him an England wing half to play centre half - when we had the best Centre half on our books - they did not want to lose out, so they sold him to Arsenal for a nominal fee - Everton That - Joe went on to win honours with Arsenal

Probably worse - Joe Mercer went to the Board & told them about him & wanted to resign as a player over the way TG was treated asking him an England wing half to play centre half - when we had the best Centre half on our books - they did not want to lose out, so they sold him to Arsenal for a nominal fee - Everton That - Joe went on to win honours with Arsenal
Oh, Everton

Oh, Everton
TG Jones book The Prince of Centre half is a brilliant read - My late father raved about him pure class of a player - Dixie Dean claimed he was better than John Charles .... well ahead of his time as a ball playing centre half - he did not just look elegant he played elegantly ... the Franz Beckenbauer of his era.....

Tommy Lawton a prolific scorer for England - played Wales never got a kick of the ball TG Jones marked him - Wales won easily .....

You met a very special, modest player .....

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back