Old Everton Pictures

Were 2-0 up to Carlisle at half time too in the home game....their only away win I think or at least their first in the top flight having been most teams' whipping boys until they played us!!!
And lost away to Luton who were also relegated having scored first iirc. AND lost second to last game of season to Sheffield UTd 3-2 having led 2-0 at half time.
If we'd even only drawn those four games I think we'd have won it by one or two points iirc,remember it was still two points for a win back then,as a young blue I can remember an evening game v Burnley near the end of that season,packed house,really nervy game,we went one up in the second half,but couldn't see it through and baldy Peter noble equalised near the end,that was our Achilles heel that campaign,we drew too many games!!

image.webp

If we'd even only drawn those four games I think we'd have won it by one or two points iirc,remember it was still two points for a win back then,as a young blue I can remember an evening game v Burnley near the end of that season,packed house,really nervy game,we went one up in the second half,but couldn't see it through and baldy Peter noble equalised near the end,that was our Achilles heel that campaign,we drew too many games!!
Fri night match. We were all dressed for a night out in town afterwards, so couldn't join in any of the madness that the Park End used to churn up.

And to see Burnley and especially Leighton James celebrating like they had won the league for themselves!! £&£@&£@£&&@

Just

Just checked! You are too generous a soul Dario! They stayed up by 12 points = 6 wins in tenth position!!! LJ was the Robbie savage of that era, after emlyn Hughes that is!!!
jeez,my memory mate!!I remember us being linked with Leighton James a few times,maybe when we bought Dave Thomas,as you say he was a narky so and so,bloody good winger I thought though,a little bit similar to heighway in style.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back