Old Everton Pictures

What was the timescale of the old/new main stand replacement? Not being old enough to remember that era, I have seen tons of pictures from 69/70 season where the far north of the new stand is taking shape. When was it all completed?
Started at the end of the 68/69 season and was work in progress right through the championship year. Fully opened in the 1970/71 season.

rush.jpg

Anyone remember this?
Yes & I fell for the April fool !!

I am sure the old main stand was whole when we got presented with the championship after beating WBA on 1.4.70 !
I was in the Goodison Rd enclosure at that game and can recall looking behind me and upwards and seeing rows without seating.
The structure itself was complete but not fully fitted out.
The important thing that night was Whittles goal to continue his run of consecutive goals, and of course Howard with his blinder.

I was in the Goodison Rd enclosure at that game and can recall looking behind me and upwards and seeing rows without seating.
The important thing that night was Whittles goal to continue his run of consecutive goals, and of course Howard with his blinder.
Colin Harvey scored that cracker. Only the Church end of the main stand was complete and in use. We were in it ...in bloody obstructed views ! Great night though...esp for a kid. Theres very short footage of it on here somewhere think its off you tube too.

Colin Harvey scored the blinder mate!!!
Edit.oops sorry mate Jacob got there first.

Colin Harvey scored that cracker. Only the Church end of the main stand was complete and in use. We were in it ...in bloody obstructed views ! Great night though...esp for a kid. Theres very short footage of it on here somewhere think its off you tube too.
Yes it was Harvey.
My mistake. Got all tearful just thinking about it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back