5 Kenyon
6 Hurst
7 Husband
8 Legend
9 Belfitt ( the other Leg..end)
10 Sir Colin Harvey
11 Connolly
12 Scott Peter.

Heres my take on it but might be way of the mark. The back row is difficult but my guess is

back row left to right: ?, ?,Ross Jack, ?, ?, ?, ?, Cliff Marshall, Robinson, Ronnie Goodlass
next row: ?, is it peter scott, Mick Lyons, Dave Lawson, Drew Brand, Dia Davies, Dave Jones, John Connolly, ?, ?,
next row: Dave Smallman, Ken McNaught, Martin Dobson, Jim Pearson, Big Bob Latchford, John Hurst, Dave Clements,
Next Row: Mick Bernard, Gary Jones, George telfer, Steve Seargeant, Billy Bingham, Roger Kenyon, Terry Darracott, John McLaughlin, Mick Buckley
Front Row: Don't bloody know or not certain

My era yet struggling.
Is it John Smith next to Peter Scott? And it's Dave Irving far right on the same row. Billy Kenny senior should be in that squad at that time, I think. Middle of the front row?

The line up for that game was
1Lawson
2 The legend ;)
3 Tommy Wright
4 John Hurst
5 Roger Kenyon
6 Colin Harvey
7 Howie
8 Henry Newton
9 John Connolly
10 Belfitt
11 Jimmy Husband
12 Peter Scott

So, Lawson in goal, Hurst is centre pitch (in the frame of their goal) running back..Newton to his right, definitely not Connolly or Kendall or Harvey or Dazza.. leaves

Wright, Kenyon or Scott maybe? begs the question who was left back out of that lot!?!

image-1-for-gallery-matchday-memories-everton-fc-v-watford-1984-fa-cup-final-540563671.jpg

I also read an article by Jack Charlton many years ago after he had retired, and he wrote about the return game at Elland Road when Moggsy went straight through him. I cannot quote it verbatim, but it went along the lines of, in the words of Charlton;
'I was moving out with the ball, when, CRASH, the whole world sent me face down in the mud. I looked up, and standing above me was Johnny Morrissey. He looked down at me and glared and said, "Right, put that down in your little f......g black book". Then he calmly walked over to the referee to receive a booking'.
This is apparently genuine.

The story also goes (heard from Howard Kendall) that the players went over to Morrissey and said "for Christ's sake Johnny, we've got another 85 minutes to play here.. they'll kick us off the park".

Howard also told the story about the time we played Spurs almost back-to-back 1967-68 and Alan Ball was subbed on 15 minutes after a vicious foul by Cyril Knowles at WHL. The return game at Goodison began with Colin and Howie extracting revenge on Knowles for the injured and absent Ball with an early doors reminder for Knowles at which point the referee intervened and said something to the effect of "right you've settled that score let's get on with the game"

Last edited:

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back