Old Everton Pictures

Mick Lyons - for @BigMick & co -

1699616137169.png

Bobby Collins, one of postwar Everton's greatest players
Bobby Collins was a member of Everton's holy trinity with Alex Young and Roy Vernon. - a letter sent in to a newspaper -

As an Everton fan of very long-standing, I was sad to hear of the death of Bobby Collins. He was one of postwar Everton's greatest players, largely responsible for our winning the Division One title in 1962-63, along with the other two members of the "holy trinity", Alex Young and Roy Vernon; and virtually single-handedly the reason for our having stayed in the division the previous year -

View attachment 234655

Don't know what the bloke's letter is on about, Joey. Colling had gone before we won the league & if memor serves me right, wee finished fourth the season beforee we won it, so certainly Bobby didn't save us from the drop then.

Don't know what the bloke's letter is on about, Joey. Colling had gone before we won the league & if memor serves me right, wee finished fourth the season beforee we won it, so certainly Bobby didn't save us from the drop then.

He did when he first arrived - we had never won away for a whole season - on debut he scored 2 in a 3-1 away win at Manchester City - he took the team up the table & out of trouble as we loomed near the relegation zone -