Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

Peter Scott one side Archie Styles the other. The sideburns those two had were immense.
Pair of them promised much but hit a plateau early on then faded.

You can say that again !!..............

PScott.webp

Peter Scott one side Archie Styles the other. The sideburns those two had were immense.
Pair of them promised much but hit a plateau early on then faded.

Ah, the magnificent Archie Styles.

Decades ago, a bloke I'd never met asked me to play in a position I'd never blessed purely on the basis that he'd heard that I was a fellow-Blue.

What exactly did a full-back do, I pondered aloud after putting the blower down, particularly when faced with the kind of pacy winger I was informed I would be up against? I sought inspiration from remembered matches both attended or merely watched on the box. One example shone like a beacon in the darkness. Here it is, with Archie, by this time wearing the blue of Brum, stamping his authority over Steve Coppell:

I am pleased to report I that played like a yard-dog on speed, with predictably mixed consequences - I had a fantastic time, but my team got stuffed.

Decades ago, a bloke I'd never met asked me to play in a position I'd never blessed purely on the basis that he'd heard that I was a fellow-Blue.

What exactly did a full-back do, I pondered aloud after putting the blower down, particularly when faced with the kind of pacy winger I was informed I would be up against? I sought inspiration from remembered matches both attended or merely watched on the box. One example shone like a beacon in the darkness. Here it is, with Archie, by this time wearing the blue of Brum, stamping his authority over Steve Coppell:

I am pleased to report I that played like a yard-dog on speed, with predictably mixed consequences - I had a fantastic time, but my team got stuffed.

..Styles came with a fine pedigree, I think he went to Venice St school and played for England Schoolboys U15 when it really was an achievement to play at that level in the days before academy's. He looked a classy left back when he broke into the Everton team but I think there was perhaps a reason the club wanted to move him on and he went to Birmingham with Howard Kendall as part of the Latchford deal. He lives in West Derby these days.

Great clip by the way.

Yeah. That was Archie alright.
State of the ref though searching for a pen!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back