Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

DBbSVawWsAAKsmA

....must have been on MoTD, remember how the TV cables ran along the Bullens Rd stand when we were on telly.

I'll take a punt on that being Horace Yates who used to scribble for the Daily Post, back in the day, when it was a proper paper.

Also that Lawnmower didn't cost a large chunk of whatever the 'Other Operating Expenses' total was back then.

And that the guy on the end of it would be the Head Groundsman...any other time one of his minions ( as in - tell the lad to mow that 'kin grass, {sounds like a job for Osman}) would do it, but if it meant getting your picture in the paper...a bit like Harry Catterick and his once a year 'Track Suit Photo Op'

Ah, the magnificent Archie Styles.

Decades ago, a bloke I'd never met asked me to play in a position I'd never blessed purely on the basis that he'd heard that I was a fellow-Blue.

What exactly did a full-back do, I pondered aloud after putting the blower down, particularly when faced with the kind of pacy winger I was informed I would be up against? I sought inspiration from remembered matches both attended or merely watched on the box. One example shone like a beacon in the darkness. Here it is, with Archie, by this time wearing the blue of Brum, stamping his authority over Steve Coppell:

I am pleased to report I that played like a yard-dog on speed, with predictably mixed consequences - I had a fantastic time, but my team got stuffed.

In stitches here, firstly the ref can't find his card, then Styles not content with a booking brings the linesman back into it just to ensure he does get sent off, like a comedy sketch.

"What's your name son?"
"Brian, sir"
"Well Briansir it looks like you haven't cut the grass in 6 month's, the ball keeps getting lost when them football lads try and play football"
"I know sir but it's this lawnmower, it's old and seizing up. And it's only got a four inch cutting blade! It's flipping hard work"
"One day we will sell a little spanish player then the boss has promisied us as many new lawnmowers that we could ever need. A whole fleet of them!"
"Ok"
"In the meantime you are going in the book, half pay next week Briansir, if I see the grass higher than than the players boots again you're out"

....must have been on MoTD, remember how the TV cables ran along the Bullens Rd stand when we were on telly.

1-0 Alan Ball I think - perhaps the only goal I (a 10 year old) saw Bally score for us at Goodison.

Thinks about it.. a lovely 25 yarder in top left hand corner of goal past flailing Iam McFaul. Possibly they played Nattrass, Barracluff, John Chew-da, Terry Hibbitt (not Hibbert), Pat Howard (who I later knew when I worked in New-cassel).

Last edited:
1-0 Alan Ball I think - perhaps the only goal I (a 10 year old) saw Bally score for us at Goodison.

Thinks about it.. a lovely 25 yarder in top left hand corner of goal past flailing Iam McFaul. Possibly they played Nattrass, Barracluff, John Chew-da, Terry Hibbitt (not Hibbert), Pat Howard (who I later knew when I worked in New-cassel).
Interestingly if you look it up on Everton results you will see how many of our 69-70 champions were playing.....and yet 30th October we started day 19/22 and ended it 17/22!!!! Lots of Great players but team struggling terribly. Newcastle were 22/22!!!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back