Old Everton Pictures

Ken Mulhearn was transferred to Stockport County and then moved to Manchester City where he earned a championship medal when City won the league in 1967-8;

….i remember him but didn’t know he was a local lad associated with Everton. Thinking we had Mulhearn, Barnet and Rankin as Academy goalkeepers around that time but not many coming through since.

Last edited:
….i remember him but didn’t know he was a local lad associated with Everton. Thinking we had Mulhearn, Barnet and Rankin as Academy goalkeepers around that time but not many coming through since.
Yes Andy Rankin left Everton because Gordon West was barring his path here at Everton, he had a great career with Watford and we got a very good fee off Arsenal for Barnet who I think played in an FA cup final for them.
You are right though Eggs I don’t think Everton,or Liverpool, have ever had a local goalkeeper who had a good career with their local clubs, maybe Albert Dunlop being the exception for Everton and possibly Ray Minshull for Liverpool but that’s going back quite a while!

Yes Andy Rankin left Everton because Gordon West was barring his path here at Everton, he had a great career with Watford and we got a very good fee off Arsenal for Barnet who I think played in an FA cup final for them.
You are right though Eggs I don’t think Everton,or Liverpool, have ever had a local goalkeeper who had a good career with their local clubs, maybe Albert Dunlop being the exception for Everton and possibly Ray Minshull for Liverpool but that’s going back quite a while!
Andy Rankin had a good run in the team if Westy got sometimes injured he was playing in goal on merit - the only problem was he was either brilliant or very poor - the 1/4 final away at Notts Forest was a good example - 2 - 0 up & we got beat 3-2 he had a howler that day - Geoff Barnett who I watched in the youth cup matches, he shone yet never really had a good run in the 1st team - yet Bob Wilson told Arsenal he was a good talent - & coached him well ....

Joe Royle stated after Andy's sad death this year he was the only player to turn up at Bellfield in a Robin reliant as he was on such a low wage even then ..... how times have changed for a professional footballer .....

1720522175140.png

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back