Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

Alan Ball welcomes new signing John McLaughlin ; he needn't have bothered.

fe1abfbdf73632d961f7aae8516b66f4.jpg

R47T1r.jpg

Alan Ball scoring one of his two goals in a game against Man United in 1967 at Goodison Park, we won the game by 3 goals to 1, Alex Young was the other goal scorer for us with Bobby Charlton getting the goal for Man Utd.

That game is on Vimeo, well worth a watch. United were Champions and would go on to win the European Cup that season.
See how we were quicker to the ball and sharper in the tackle.
For those who never saw the 60's team and Young in particular, if his goal had been scored by Pele or Messi nobody would've batted an eye lid just said what a player.
See how he got up and down the field sometimes covering both RB and LB

blackburn-rovers-v-manchester-united-league-match-at-ewood-park-saturday-enhkdk.jpg

Supposedly crowd trouble of Blackburn v Everton in mid sixties. I'm no expert on fashion trends by any shake, but I cannot ever recall sartorially blessed Merseysiders favouring donkey jackets, so I am assuming the local fans are charging towards travelling Evertonians in the other end.

blackburn-rovers-v-manchester-united-league-match-at-ewood-park-saturday-enhkdk.jpg

Supposedly crowd trouble of Blackburn v Everton in mid sixties. I'm no expert on fashion trends by any shake, but I cannot ever recall sartorially blessed Merseysiders favouring donkey jackets, so I am assuming the local fans are charging towards travelling Evertonians in the other end.

March 1964? Everton fans going on to the pitch at the end of the match to celebrate the win?

March 1964? Everton fans going on to the pitch at the end of the match to celebrate the win?
The date looks about right, but Evertonians wearing donkey jackets? I thought we would have had a bit more pride than to wear those abominations.
Btw I wonder if any of our younger fans know what a donkey jacket was/is?

The date looks about right, but Evertonians wearing donkey jackets? I thought we would have had a bit more pride than to wear those abominations.
Btw I wonder if any of our younger fans know what a donkey jacket was/is?

If you recall the photos of our lot on the pitch during The Battle of Goodison, I suspect you'll see more than one donkey jacket-wearer in the arms of Liverpool's other boys in blue. Some of the owners will doubtless have come straight from work/overtime to the match, quite possibly via the pub.

I was trying to recall the last time I saw donkey jackets in any number. Most likely the West Ham contingent in the Park End in '77 or '78, just before the punk look took a temporary grip.

And as for blues spilling onto the pitch due to trouble on the terraces, largest example comes from Gowen Senior, who ventures the exodus from the Leazes End in the '66-67 season. Everton's third goal sparked something less than joy from the locals!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back