Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

0000510B00000C1D-3488605-image-a-33_1457741245834.jpg

...I remember Clyde Best scoring an incredible goal at Goodison. The mists of time will have blurred my memory, but I think he got it by the dug out, dribbled past every Everton player before smashing it in the Gwladys St net.
100% correct. I don't think I had heard Goodison applaud a goal from the opposition before that one.

100% correct. I don't think I had heard Goodison applaud a goal from the opposition before that one.
Applauding genuinely good play from the opposition was not all that unusual in those days at GP. I can readily recall a goal by Aston Villa the year they won the title. Scored by a blonde striker of theirs, Gary Shaw I think. The applause was even noted on the MOTD commentary.
The legacy of those days is I suppose still there in the way we still applaud the visiting keeper at the start of each half.

Applauding genuinely good play from the opposition was not all that unusual in those days at GP. I can readily recall a goal by Aston Villa the year they won the title. Scored by a blonde striker of theirs, Gary Shaw I think. The applause was even noted on the MOTD commentary.
The legacy of those days is I suppose still there in the way we still applaud the visiting keeper at the start of each half.
Yes fully agree. Looking at my reply I was meaning to add "so much".
I reckon we are amongst the most appreciative of good play from the opposition, RS excepted of course.
Anyone witnessing the speed and interplay of one of the Ipswich goals when they beat us 4-0 in 1980 couldn't help but marvel at it and applauded it rightly so.
Got our own back in the cup a short while later mind!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back