Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

DQotwwqWkAAahkn

Applauding genuinely good play from the opposition was not all that unusual in those days at GP. I can readily recall a goal by Aston Villa the year they won the title. Scored by a blonde striker of theirs, Gary Shaw I think. The applause was even noted on the MOTD commentary.
The legacy of those days is I suppose still there in the way we still applaud the visiting keeper at the start of each half.
Tony Morley, wasn't it?

Applauding genuinely good play from the opposition was not all that unusual in those days at GP. I can readily recall a goal by Aston Villa the year they won the title. Scored by a blonde striker of theirs, Gary Shaw I think. The applause was even noted on the MOTD commentary.
The legacy of those days is I suppose still there in the way we still applaud the visiting keeper at the start of each half.
We've been doing that for as long as I can remember, well before Gary Shaw

Didn't know there were goal line officials that long ago.

From FIFA site:

By the time the first FA Cup and international fixture took place, two umpires, one per team, were being employed to whom each side could appeal. But it was not the ideal solution as decisions were often only reached following lengthy delays. The referee, at first, stood on the touchline keeping time and was 'referred' to if the umpires could not agree but that all changed in 1891.

Referees introduced
From that date a single person with powers to send players off as well as give penalties and free-kicks without listening to appeals became a permanent fixture in the game. The two umpires became linesmen, or 'assistant referees' as they are called today. Also during that meeting in Scotland, the goal net was accepted into the laws, completing the make-up of the goal after the introduction of the crossbar to replace tape 16 years previously.

I remember that game. I was a young child in the Upper Bullens, and remember bawling my eyes out because we got battered. Without Googling, I recall it being 3-1 to Villa. They were a fantastic side. IIRC, the Tony Morley goal was a counter attack towards the Gwladys. Morley was through on goal about 30 yards out with the keeper to beat. Rather than trying to go around the keeper, he just smacked it from 30 yards and it flew into the top of the net. It was brutal, but awe inspiring.

P.S. I've just watched the game on Youtude. The Morley goal was at the Park End and it wasn't that good. :blush:

Last edited:
I remember that game. I was a young child in the Upper Bullens, and remember bawling my eyes out because we got battered. Without Googling, I recall it being 3-1 to Villa. They were a fantastic side. IIRC, the Tony Morley goal was a counter attack towards the Gwladys. Morley was through on goal about 30 yards out with the keeper to beat. Rather than trying to go around the keeper, he just smacked it from 30 yards and it flew into the top of the net. It was brutal, but awe inspiring.

P.S. I've just watched the game on Youtude. The Morley goal was at the Park End and it wasn't that good. :blush:
Actually there was another incident in the same game where one of Villa's forwards went past a few our defenders and hit a lovely curling shot just wide of the post. Again, cue loud applause from the crowd.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back