Old Everton Pictures

Royston Vernon arm folded to hide the nicotine on his fingers as he was a chain smoker a great player without the Ciggies he could have been the top player of his era - for @roy vernon & co -

1703160433227.png

1964 - Maghull, just home from jail. I had no idea what was to come, we thought being imprisoned and fined was sufficient, then they banned us for life. - My whole world collapsed -

[ATTACH

Everton v Burnley 1970 – Hurst, and Husband in act - in a 1-1 draw

Bally & Labby on England duty v Wales for @Eggs & co -

View attachment 239169
Ron Davies started his career at Chester , eventually playing for Southampton
Scoring bagful of goals

13th April 1970; Blackpool centre forward Fred Pickering celebrates his goal against neighbours Preston North End as he secures promotion to the top flight, at Deepdale. For @TangerineToffee -

View attachment 238922
A truly historic night in Pool history. Going up to the top table and sending the nob enders down into the bilge of Division 3. Fred's hat trick that night a career highlight for him. Made him a Tangerine legend.

That's some pair of eyebrows he's sporting there.
His stature as a player was far worse - if it was raining he looked like a wet Echo skin & bone - but I can tell you he was dynamite as a player creative & a player with a thunderous shot - as a pen taker he took most almost 100% conversion rate - & he took a lot of pens deadly accurate into the inside of the net by the post - he had the cheek to point which corner he would hit the ball to the keeper - & in it went like a thunderbolt -

Evidently he took pens as a schoolboy & he started as a fast winger - his chain-smoking in the words of the GV stopped him from being the no 1 forward in his era - the only player the GV knew who could smoke after a game to smoke in the showers ...

A rebel who was made captain of our club never got the accolades the GV ever got - yet he was an amazing classy inside forward who with the GV fetched us the title in 1963 & he topped the goal scoring charts 10-12 where pens though ....

for @roy vernon & co -

1703245453124.png

Last edited: