Orange and Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come Mickey? St Domingos was a Protestant/Methodist church. I thought so anyrate.

But there is no religious split at all thank god.

It's never really been an official thing to be honest

Houlding was a renknowned Protestant but James Clement Baxter was the sole Catholic on the Everton Commitee as of the split, so it's not like it was a big issue or anything

Everton had a few prominent Catholic players in the 50's and 60's which garnerned them the reputation, but again it's never been an official things and people of both faiths have supported both clubs

Everton is "catholic" in name only really, but for arguments sake, that's the answer

I don't think I've ever experienced any Sectarian abuse at an Everton match. We've had a few Sectarian posters on the forum of course (Anyone who was around during the day of the Shane Duffy thread madness will remember that) but in actual real life I don't think I've seen any Sectarianism following The Toffee's.

I have been called a "Fenian Barstool" for wearing my Hibs shirt at the gym once, by a cockney. But that's it ;)

Last edited:
Ah well, its ancient history really. I cant be bothered to delve that deeply, but if my memory serves me well, we seem to have had far more dealings with Rangers over the years, and Celtic fans sing that dirge.

But I am happy to leave that to them up there. I dislike Liverpool, but not because they are or are not Catholic or Protestant, and I love Everton regardless.

The cross-overs in Liverpool mean that religion is irrelevant in terms of who you support. My late Mum's family are all Catholic and fervent Evertonians, but my Dad and siblings are protestant and equally passionate about the Blues.

Some of my wife's family are Orange Lodge acolytes and the worst kind of armchair kopites, whilst her sister is married into an extended Irish/Scouse Catholic family of lunatic RS.

Despite my protestant upbringing I find the Orange Lodge to be an odious relic, and I made myself unpopular with my in-laws for taking them to task about their bigoted views. I am glad it is not a football issue in our city.

I've always found these links a bit confusing. To some extent, i've felt Everton more of a catholic club cause of St. Luke's and the anti-rangers stuff, Moyes' Celtic ties and obvious catholicism, working class demographic and all... But then again, both kopites and celtics sing YNWA, yeah?

If you choose your football team based on religion, you're an idiot.

It's got absolutely no place in football.
Correct - neither club has any religious affiliation.

All this Everton/Liverpool are Catholic/Protestant stuff doesn't really wash for me.

It causes enough problems, and with that I'm playing the 'no politics/religion' card as this will end up in slanging matches all round. We've seen it many times before, so to keep the peace I'm closing this.

If anything, both clubs came from a Welsh Methodist church anyway.

I've always found these links a bit confusing. To some extent, i've felt Everton more of a catholic club cause of St. Luke's and the anti-rangers stuff, Moyes' Celtic ties and obvious catholicism, working class demographic and all... But then again, both kopites and celtics sing YNWA, yeah?
St Luke's isn't Catholic.

Status
Not open for further replies.