• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Other Club Transfers 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy money being thrown around, Chelsea spending especially, Curucella, Fofana, Gvardiol, Koulibaly, possibly De Jong, FFP truly dead i guess
There is clearly some talent in those acquisitions but also some reckless indecision and cost analysis. Possibly they might be believing the market will have a massive spike in the not so distant future and caste these deals in a different light. But to me it seems far more like Boehly not really understanding the football model. I guess theres questions on FFP but the immediate expense wouldn't be the tell. In the next couple of years I think Chelsea could hit hard times by operating there business like they have this window. Especially if they by chance miss top four and massively cut their expected revenue. This is bad new owner syndrome IMO (something we are far too familiar with).

I just look at City compared to Chelsea and Man U and the gap is so seismic in their operation, talent and how such an approach seems to have benefit future seasons. However many qualms one can have on City they are unbelievably astute and considered in their business regardless of their resources. There signings are almost 90% values or fair value compared to the talent and that effects future recruitment. This window is case and point.

There is clearly some talent in those acquisitions but also some reckless indecision and cost analysis. Possibly they might be believing the market will have a massive spike in the not so distant future and caste these deals in a different light. But to me it seems far more like Boehly not really understanding the football model. I guess theres questions on FFP but the immediate expense wouldn't be the tell. In the next couple of years I think Chelsea could hit hard times by operating there business like they have this window. Especially if they by chance miss top four and massively cut their expected revenue. This is bad new owner syndrome IMO (something we are far too familiar with).

I just look at City compared to Chelsea and Man U and the gap is so seismic in their operation, talent and how such an approach seems to have benefit future seasons. However many qualms one can have on City they are unbelievably astute and considered in their business regardless of their resources. There signings are almost 90% values or fair value compared to the talent and that effects future recruitment. This window is case and point.
City is all run by ex-Barca guys (from their Xavi-Iniesta-Messi glory days). Guardiola was always main target of that City project, and him alone is worth more than some random scatter gun approach a la United. So very targeted (seems that Newcastle trying to emulate that). Also City, PSG and now Newcastle are also sportwashing for their Gulf state owners so they trying to project cleanest image possible.

While Chelsea under Abramovich was vanity project of bored Russian billionaire, playing real life football manager, seems that new American owner continuing that approach. I'm also not familiar with American sports and their ownership model, so maybe thats standard practice there.

#GlazersOut though.
It's really something to listen to the likes of Gary Neville slamming them, not for the Super League idea, but for their spending. Look at that, they've cleared a billion, and a fifth of that in the past 2 months alone! Yes they bring in a LOT of money as maybe the most commercially successful club in the world, but they also spend a lot too.

City is all run by ex-Barca guys (from their Xavi-Iniesta-Messi glory days). Guardiola was always main target of that City project, and him alone is worth more than some random scatter gun approach a la United. So very targeted (seems that Newcastle trying to emulate that). Also City, PSG and now Newcastle are also sportwashing for their Gulf state owners so they trying to project cleanest image possible.

While Chelsea under Abramovich was vanity project of bored Russian billionaire, playing real life football manager, seems that new American owner continuing that approach. I'm also not familiar with American sports and their ownership model, so maybe thats standard practice there.
Im american and its very common stateside to refer to a "new owner syndrome" where the owner basically is inept for the first 5 to 7 years by usually being too involved. Often those owners come from similar situations as Boehly which is a key member of a successful consortium group (in his case the Dodgers) wanting more autonomy and accolades by owning a team of their own. Moshiri I would say is an obvious example in his own right.

The thing is in the US the majority of the major leagues have revenue sharing and or a salary cap let alone drafts and trades. Along with provisions to protect being able to bury a franchises future. I think a lot of american owners don't understand the volatility in football's revenue and the importance of longstanding investments rolling over in the future. Let alone how "talent" is often married with tactics. Its why they have been the main engines in pushing for the super league. The idea that Boehly understands that Chelsea's revenue or could be sliced in half by missing out top four or poor signings I can almost guarantee he doesn't understand. What he is doing right now seems very Barca-esque post the glory years. Sure theres quality so much so the poor approach might not be costly or apparent but the process to these signings is poor nonetheless.

Must of been what klopp was on about the other day when he said the club should take more risks sometimes when buying players. The club probably didn't want him because of his injury record but klopps forced their hand.

You never know with Juve players, Bentacour and Kulusevski were deemed flops at Juve, they turned up good players for Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back