Our biggest signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We signed Alan Ball just after he'd won the world cup, you don't get more high profile or in form than that. I think he was the first player to cost £100,000. We swapped Howard Kendall, Archie Styles plus cash to buy Bob Latchford. They were probably our two biggest signings for the respective eras.

i think he means players that were big when they signed. ie: Fellaini wasnt a player everyone was thinking 'now thats a coup for that club'. Hell, Fellaini STILL divides our fanbase whether they think he's crap or ace.

It depends what you mean by 'biggest'. Do you mean highest profile when they joined? Or how important they turned out to be?

Baines, Coleman, Cahill should be high up on the second list, for example, though not the first.

The wording he uses is 'high profile signings for proven players in form.' so the former.

Speed, Lineker, Cottee, Beardsley, Barmby, Yakubu etc. fit that. But Cahill, Coleman, Fellaini, Baines don't.

Martin Dobson. Andy Johnson. Joe Harper. Adrian Heath. Trevor Steven. Micky Walsh. Dave Watson. Dave Lawson & Steve Simonsen (record fees for a GKs at the time).

All were well known high-profile players in their day.

For high profile and at the height of their game I would say either Alan Ball (post world cup) or Tony Cottee.
Maybe Tony Cottee edges it for me as we were up against direct rivals in Arsenal to sign him - and he chose us!
How times change eh?

Martin Dobson. Andy Johnson. Joe Harper. Adrian Heath. Trevor Steven. Micky Walsh. Dave Watson. Dave Lawson & Steve Simonsen (record fees for a GKs at the time).

All were well known high-profile players in their day.

And the bloke in your avatar Big Bobby Latchford, who walks on water ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back