Our most important ever signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really thought Andy Van Der Meyde was a signing that would put us up there.

£2.5m seemed such a bargain at the time.

Obviously it went badly badly tits up.

Campbell was an immense sighning as mentioned.

Marcus Bent fit that system of one up top arguably better than anyone we've ever had, despite not being that good at football.

i think you need to start giving some examples of when youve been right about signings lol

It has to be Howard.

Not only did he become a crucial component in the greatest, if largely unsung outside Goodison's portals, midfield in post war English football but he fell in love with the club and went on to become the most successful manager in the our history.

Now, although I see the merit in picking Kevin Campbell or Barry Horne in view of their heroics in keeping us up, I think our club is defined by what we actually won over the years.

And for that reason I would nominate Peter Reid, Neville Southall, Alan Ball, Alex Young and Dixie Dean for honourable mentions.

The thing is you essentially have to look at a point where the club could have drifted into mediocrity but didn't because the right player was there.

Dixie is the stand out because after dominating the early years we were on the fall, we came 17th the year before we signed him hadn't won a trophy in a decade, got relegated for the first ever time and without Dean, we could have been another villa or a sunderland an early game giant to drift into irrelivance.

By Kendall and certainly by Campbell, we'd already become what we are to a certain extent but without dixie so much of our image as a club, our folklore wouldn't be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.