Our most important ever signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Campbell kept us up, dunc kept us up in 98, the likes of reid and gray added something that was missing to the 80's team, southall went on to be the best in the world, and arguably the most important player in a double title winning team, then you go beyond that, dixie, ball, had we not got kendall it might have affected two era's not just one so he gets my vote, impossible question though

The thing is you essentially have to look at a point where the club could have drifted into mediocrity but didn't because the right player was there.

Dixie is the stand out because after dominating the early years we were on the fall, we came 17th the year before we signed him hadn't won a trophy in a decade, got relegated for the first ever time and without Dean, we could have been another villa or a sunderland an early game giant to drift into irrelivance.

By Kendall and certainly by Campbell, we'd already become what we are to a certain extent but without dixie so much of our image as a club, our folklore wouldn't be there.

Agree to a point, but strongly suspect we were relegated well after his arrival at the club.

Just seen that Kevin Campbell mobbing video in the excellent GOT video section, proper brilliant stuff.

Got me thinking though, who was our most important ever signing? For me, it probably was Kev, as I think we were down and out that season if he didn't arrive, as we were as bad as bad can be, but it may be because I'm not thinking properly as his name was the first to pop into my head.

Any others who match his importance?

[MOD EDIT] VIDEO (Login required): https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...ore-feb-15-derby-on-goodison-road-youtube.20/

Kevin Campbell all day long. The most important thing to me about him was he almost single handily removed the long standing perception that Everton as a club were inherently racist. His goals, his team spirt and his infectious personality turned a lot of fans round to the idea that it didn't matter what colour Everton were. If you look at how many non white players signed before and after he played it's real eye opener. He took to the club and we took to him. He wasn't one of our greatest players in terms of footballing ability, but I love him to bits for what he did during his time with us. One person really can make that much difference.

it's happening as well isn't? It's like hoping the tide won't come in

34ilrfd.png

Status
Not open for further replies.