Our 'Rules' + Moderator Defaults

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
Blues,

We're busier than ever;

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 21.08.44.webp

This has prompted us, over in our plush mod central - to discuss our moderating stance for the season ahead.

The crux of the discussion is - can we moderate GrandOldTeam a little more leniently? Have we as a moderating setup become a bit miserable? (don't answer that...).

Anyway - it would be good to have some feedback on the below.
  • What should the moderating warning system be?
As in, how should the moderators of your Everton forum, moderate.

We last revised our community guidelines in 2008 - I think they're still applicable, but I think we could improve on how we ask and prompt the community to follow the guidelines.

Currently, if a moderator sees a post that goes against our guidelines - they hit 'warn' and have a predetermined setup like so;

Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 20.53.51.webp

These allocate warning points - as below;

Warning System
30 Points = Suspended for 2 Days.
60 points = Suspended For 7 Days.
80 points = Suspended For 14 Days.
100 points = Permanently Banned.

Inappropriate Language: 10 points
General Behaviour Warning: 20 points
Off Topic: 20 points
Minor Spamming: 20 points
Posting Abusive/Offensive Material: 60 points
Spammed Advertisements: 100 points
10 and 20 point infractions expire after 30 days, the rest after 45 days.

The lower value warnings can be issued as a warning (0 points) at the discretion of the staff member.

You will be automatically notified via private message if you receive a warning - meaning the points wont mount up without you realising.

So...
Can our system be better?

Is it easily understood?

Is it fair?

How do we keep GrandOldTeam 'sound' and civil, but don't go to far and lose the fun.

Above all - If you could setup the moderating structure for GOT, what would it be?

I know it's difficult blues, but serious suggestions/feedback please...

Last edited by a moderator:
The IMG doesnt work.

I have a question, is there anyway of viewing how many points people currently have?

modz??? i would give him 10 points and ban him for 2 days for that,
made a mock of use ere saying its not working, [on topic]
its working just fine

Upvote 0
Think sometimes threads should be allowed to run a little longer, and have from time to time seen threads closed on a Mod whim.
At the end of the day this forum is here to be an enjoyable place to have a laugh and chat wham about Everton and life, and sometimes I think the moderators can take the forum a little too seriously. A little more leniency would be appreciated, particularly when it comes to the Ale House.

Actually a good example of this was where Danny was actively posting and moderating in the Everton forum the other day, there was a good too
and fro going on, little bit of off topic, fun and tangents allowed but the key issue was also discussed.
However overall the mods are fair and do a decent job.

Upvote 0

MickNick just openly stating anyone being daft in his EU thread will get suspended has made for one of the best threads on GOT for a while. Unheard of actually, i would guess, for a politics thread to get such traffic on here ?

Self moderation is sometimes tough. The ignore feature helps greatly. Personally, I would like the ' view ignored content ' option in a thread to disappear. You should have to go to your settings etc to enable it.

Upvote 0
Also if you're on the verge of a ban, an automated email would be a decent idea and fair warning I reckon.
Nah. The thrill of the chase would be lost. The resulting fume while you stew in your own piss because you don't know for sure what you were hammered for and have no way of appealing.

Game the game yo...

Upvote 0

power mad, favourite playing, arbitrary, inconsistent, control freaks, who think that being a Mod gives their views on none Mod related issues extra weight and are generally up their own...pretty much like everybody else on here.

could be worse really, we get the Mods. we deserve?

is there a sin bin for 1hr to let excessive fumers, those having the drink taken, etc. a chance to cool down.

sometimes off topic isn't that off topic...if being on the thread triggers a thought or two this could be...loosely...said to be as a result of being on the thread and thus vaguely on topic...No? OK, I'll get me coat.

7.5 out of 10 for the mods...mostly...on a good day...sometimes.

Upvote 0
Mod system is basically sound, although I am occasionally surprised at how mean personal comments can go back and forth for so long. I am an Aussie and we are used to winding each other up but some of what I read here is toe-curling. Best of luck to the Mods though, this is one of my favourite places on the net and it is down to the folks who run the show.

Upvote 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back